MPC order here =)

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your input.

This is what the website says my choices are:

Easter Egger, any of our Polish varieties, Speckled Sussex, Chantecler, Naked Neck, Dominique, Black Jersey Giant, Blue Cochin, White Cochin, Golden Campine, Golden Phoenix, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Light Brown Leghorn, Silver Spangled Hamburg, Exchequer Leghorn, White Sultan, Black Sumatra, Appenzeller Spitzhauben, Welsummer, Easter Egger or Silver Cuckoo Marans!

well different breeds have different combs, and some breeds have a variety of combs... maybe this will help

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/3/3-1/Dave_Anderson.html

Dave_Anderson-1.gif

Quote:
They are so small it might be hard to tell now, but once they develop a little bit, the ones with SINGLE combs will have a neat little row of small spikes/bumps on the top of their head, just above their beak. The ones with a ROSE comb will just have a flat, bumpy area above their beak. Once they mature, the combs will look like the diagram Rodeoclown posted.
thumbsup.gif

With the possibilities in this assortment, the type of comb will really be helpful in IDing these chicks.

Oh yeah...do enjoy them while they are cute little fuzzy peeps! They grow up WAY too fast
big_smile.png
and then they just look like....well.....chickens....
lau.gif

I got my order from MPC yesterday too. They called on Monday because the buff laced polish didn't hatch. The options they gave me were Barred Plymoth Rock, Blue Andalusian, Buff Orpinton, Cuckoo Maran, Dominque, Silver Laced Wyandotte and I think RIR or a couple others I wasn't interested in and didn't write down when she was listing them off. I got 2 SLW. All happy and peeping away.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Maybe this will help figure out what you got.

I don't think I will figure out what I have until they get bigger. Their combs are so different that I will just have to try to wait impatiently
smile.png

It is very easy to tell the difference between a straight comb and a rose comb in small chicks. A rosecomb is totally flat, with just a tiny little 'spike' sticking up at the back of it. A straight comb will have some (4, 5, 6) little spikes sticking up.

Back
Top Bottom