MPC Super blue egg layer eggs

I've got 2 AM mixes that are RED, and I mean as red as they come- getting a bit personal with one, she looks like an egg should fall out of there any day. The other not so much... and those two are now 22 weeks. Sigh.

On the bright side, one of my Welsummer hens decided to go broody a couple days ago, so I've got 4 SBELxSBEL eggs under there. =)

My AM mixes:
Chip- check out that beard!

And Doodle:

Hi @Shezadandy , SBELxSBEL eggs!!? Wow, that's going to be interesting to see how they lay. If only you could fast forward to find out things like that.
That is a beautiful beard! Never thought I'd be saying that today!
22 weeks would be Nov 28th for us. Here's hoping Chuck drops and egg before Thanksgiving!

Hi @Shezadandy , SBELxSBEL eggs!!? Wow, that's going to be interesting to see how they lay. If only you could fast forward to find out things like that.
22 weeks would be Nov 28th for us. Here's hoping Chuck drops and egg before Thanksgiving!

Hopefully Chuck adheres to your Thanksgiving day wishes. Sounds like you've got her under plenty of light, now it's up to her.
cool.png

Yes, a fast forward button would be mighty handy. The chicks on the ground now won't start laying until March, the ones I just set will hopefully start in May ... so I guess I get two early Christmases?? I've got a good number of test matings to feel the rooster out for his blue egg genotype.

Chip has the thickest muff, beard and neck feathers I've ever seen. I actually have to trim her muffs away from her eyes so she can see the meanies in the flock - before I thought to do it she'd run around with her neck craned making distressed clucks trying to navigate. Now that she can see, she's calmer, but I do love the beard.

Sadly we lost our SBEL rooster last week to unknown causes. I'm going to incubate all my blue and green eggs that are still fertile in hopes of breeding a replacement.
On a happier note, our two AM cross pullets (unrelated to the SBELs) laid their first eggs within a day of each other, both are a pretty green color! The top egg belongs to "Chip" (long beard) and the bottom belongs to "Doodle". They laid at 22 1/2 weeks of age... maybe Chuck will follow the trend!

Sorry to hear about your Roo, and understand. We had lost a Bielefelder roo, Big Daddy, unexpectedly for no known reason. He was a favorite of ours.

Sorry to hear about your Roo, and understand. We had lost a Bielefelder roo, Big Daddy, unexpectedly for no known reason. He was a favorite of ours.

Thank you. It was a shock, just the evening before he was doing all his rooster-ly duties and looked fine.
sad.png
I'm sorry to hear about your roo as well. UGH The main comfort is in knowing they had it pretty good while they were here and likely didn't suffer.

Sorry to hear about your Roo @shezadandy. Hopefully he will be reincarnated soon in the next hatch.

22 1/2 weeks for Chip and Doodle! Well done ladies! And a lovely shade of green on both. We'll be getting an Olive Egger in Spring for sure. Chuck is exactly 20 weeks old today. Still no sign of an egg.

Sorry to hear about your Roo @shezadandy. Hopefully he will be reincarnated soon in the next hatch.

22 1/2 weeks for Chip and Doodle! Well done ladies! And a lovely shade of green on both. We'll be getting an Olive Egger in Spring for sure. Chuck is exactly 20 weeks old today. Still no sign of an egg.

Thank you. If I had to lose him, I'm glad it happened while his SBEL girls were laying. Can't imagine having that happen with no opportunity to hatch out one last batch.

The Welsummer that went broody for me 2 days before Gus died had a mix including 4 SBELxSBEL. Of those, 1 cracked, so of course didn't make it- and one I suspect has twins. It's a huge 2.6oz'er- for now I'm letting it do what it's going to do. I moved that group of eggs into the incubator I *swore* I would *never* buy, and fortunately have a friend ready for some chicks! So, I'm giving her those chicks... the strong little souls that hopefully survive my first incubator hatch effort.

So now the broody has the very valuable SBEL x SBEL eggs, mostly from the hen that lays the nicest blue. I pulled their eggs from the fridge too- so it'll be interesting to see if we have a Trader Joe's moment and refrigerated eggs hatch. That would be pretty neat.

I LOVE the Cuckoo Bluebars. They are so hardy and such a different look in the flock. Sadly, they aren't auto-sexing. Also, while I can't give out the proprietary recipe it takes to create this fantastic breed...none of the breeds you listed are in the recipe. :oops:

I'm so sorry that your GFF Legbars laid a green egg. Personally, I have a flock of Cream Legbars that I breed and love them. I'm a stickler for egg size and color though. 

YAY! That is such good news. What a long trip those little fluff balls have been on! I can't wait to see pictures as they grow out. :love

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Just thought I would update everyone. My two SBEL pullets hatched on June 20 have grown beautifully. They are both white with a couple of black flecks. One looks and acts more like a leghorn and the other is quite friendly. I got my first SBEL egg yesterday, and a second one this morning! I'm very pleased with them. Included an Orpington egg for comparison. :)

Here are my two adult SBEL gals... not sure which one gave me my first eggs, but I'm thinking the one with all the cheeks (coincidentally named "Cheeks") since her face seems redder? They look pretty different but I like them both.

"Cheeks"

Last edited:
Wow! Your orpington egg looks tan?! Mine come out brown. How is that?

I'm jealous, none of my SBEL every laid a blue egg to speak of. Yours look extremely blue!

Back
Top Bottom