MPC Super blue egg layer eggs

Wow! Your orpington egg looks tan?!  Mine come out brown.  How is that?

I'm jealous, none of my SBEL every laid a blue egg to speak of.  Yours look extremely blue!

Well it could be an Australorp egg but of my two orpingtons one lays a darker tan egg and the other lays a lighter cream egg! Yes I was pleasantly surprised with the SBEL egg after the mixed reports on this thread about egg color. I would've been happy with any shade of blue or green though! I'm eager to see what the other SBEL lays since they look completely different. What color did your SBEL lay Eggscoozme?

Well it could be an Australorp egg but of my two orpingtons one lays a darker tan egg and the other lays a lighter cream egg! Yes I was pleasantly surprised with the SBEL egg after the mixed reports on this thread about egg color. I would've been happy with any shade of blue or green though! I'm eager to see what the other SBEL lays since they look completely different. What color did your SBAEL lay Eggscoozme?
A very pale greenish-blue. I would not be comfortable selling them as blue eggs as they only looked slightly blue if I held them in a certain light in a certain way - you get my drift.

My Whiting True Blues, on the other hand are definitely blue; however, not as blue as your egg is showing.

P.S. - I love how quickly my Whitings started to lay 4 1/2-5mths, and I don't remember them being small. They lay for me everyday. Remind me of Leghorns that way. Mine are smart, too. Very quick to get out of the kennel/coop like today. She discovered the snow. Not terribly long after, she went back to her coop door to be let in LOL. Anyhow, she and 2 others didn't miss a beat laying even after I moved them to this new coop. The eggs are consistently 70g, so decent size.

On another note, I've attached a pic of my orpington's egg. They just started laying about 5 weeks ago. The scale is in ounces.

Last edited:
A very pale greenish-blue.  I would not be comfortable selling them as blue eggs as they only looked slightly blue if I held them in a certain light in a certain way  - you get my drift.

My Whiting True Blues, on the other hand are definitely blue; however, not as blue as your egg is showing.

That's really interesting! I was actually wondering about the comparison of the SBEL's and true blues... That's good to know. I guess we'll see what SBEL #2 has in store for me!

That would be a fun experiment
smile.png

I have some whiting eggs that I believe are fertile as I just checked some 2 days ago - this is despite the Roo being gone for several weeks - month. If you want some, let me know. My hatch rate was 83% a couple of weeks ago. Just pay for shipping!

Here are my two adult SBEL gals... not sure which one gave me my first eggs, but I'm thinking the one with all the cheeks (coincidentally named "Cheeks") since her face seems redder? They look pretty different but I like them both.

"Cheeks"

Wow what a beautiful blue egg! Congratulations to you and Cheeks!

Nothing yet from our SBEL at 21 weeks.

22wks 6days old and I had a squat out of Chuck today!! Her face has been red for a long long time. I hover my hand over her back so many times since she was 14wks old, when I saw the squat I dropped to my knees and shouted YES To the sky!

Surely inside this 23rd week we will have our first ever egg.

22wks 6days old and I had a squat out of Chuck today!! Her face has been red for a long long time. I hover my hand over her back so many times since she was 14wks old, when I saw the squat I dropped to my knees and shouted YES To the sky!

Surely inside this 23rd week we will have our first ever egg.

You should play her the Jeopardy theme song for her until she does it. =)

Back
Top Bottom