Mr. Chicken is ill

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mrs. Chicken, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Mrs. Chicken

Mrs. Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    My little rooster is not feeling well. I tried to upload a picture of him but it didn't work. He hasn't crowed in five days. IHe is walking around very slow and is sitting in the hen's nest. He is picking at his corn but will only eat bread, however, he is drinking water. He rarely lets me touch him, now all he does is stand at the back door and whine and lets me rub his back. He usually struts around the yard and is very active. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do or how to help him.

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I'm sorry, but I don't know what is wrong. However, the first thing I would do would be to put him by himself, in a cage with a floor or something, and keep an eye on his poop and eating habits. I'd also check him over good for mites, lice, or any unseen injuries. And I'd listen closely for any congestion and put apple cider vinegar, with the mother, in his water. From there I'd just watch and see how he is. Hopefully, someone with greater knowledge in these matters will come by and give you better advice. I hope he'll be ok. [​IMG]

3. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Maybe you should move this to the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures" section. LOTS of people more knowledgeable than me are around there...hope he gets better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by