Mr. Mom?

laughingull

Songster
9 Years
Dec 7, 2010
California
So, now that I have by new buttons I am spending way to much time watching them. I am fascinated by the males dedication to courtship and egg care. Unfortunately thus far my female shows little interest. The male checks the one egg that she laid multiple times a minute when he is not otherwise distracted. He has rea-arranged the nesting material over the egg and around the egg with great meticulous dedication- one piece of sawdust at a time. He was upset that the female did not want to sit on the egg with him last night and that she chose instead to hide under a clump of grass. Now I catch him occasionally on the egg. I have read that both sexes take part in chick rearing- but is their ever a mr mom that goes broody?

The male will sometimes help, but not stay on it all the time. Usually they don't help much but in some cases they do.

I have had males go broody. What your males is doing is showing the female that he can take care of her and her babies. They will show off and make nests for the hen. The hen will pretend she is not interested for a while only for him to work harder
smile.png
THEN when the hen goes brooder she wants the male to back off. The male will make a prototype nest beside her to "ward off" predators
big_smile.png

awsome! i have a question i hear alot of people say that its hard to get the femal to take care of her own eggs is there anything you can do to "help" her become broody? or is it just pretty much up to them?

Quote:
You can provide a natural looking setting (lots of hay, nesting material, hiding places) but the broodiness is up the the hen. You can't control her
smile.png

Quote:
I love it!!!!!!!!! lol she sure is working him hard- don't think I've ever seen him eat something that she didn't first turn down emphatically.

How many eggs does the hen usually lay before she starts brooding them? (not that I am getting my hopes up) I think I read something about them laying several eggs before piling them up and sitting on them???

Quote:
pairs. (just got my 2 from a place that was keeping a bunch in one pen and both mine are missing most of their feathers due to it
sad.png

Button quail are pair bonded individuals but many people still house them in colonies
sad.png
They do better, by better I mean live longer, less stressed, healthier offspring, if in pairs.

Back
Top Bottom