Mr Pickles is a BadA$$

Chickie_Momma_91

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
So I have one roo who won’t go up. He ends up on top of the coop and I have to drag him down and coop him every night. Well, tonight was no different. Except tonight Mr Pickles didn’t go up. And my dog got him. I don’t see any broken skin. A few broken vessels maybe and a featherless spot on his leg, a small tear on his comb front, and a scuff on his leg. He’s very very docile, not total shock as he did jump up on the coop roof, ran across the run when we put him in, but he’s very docile and letting us handle him. Anything I should be worried about? His behavior is just not himself and he’s panting.
Photos of him in all his majesty earlier today.

Attachments

• 3C66FA5A-7827-41F1-BC11-9CCB9E3F7AEF.jpeg
    3C66FA5A-7827-41F1-BC11-9CCB9E3F7AEF.jpeg
    659.4 KB · Views: 22
  • A36A42FF-3B96-4454-8334-BBBCF6B21DA2.jpeg
    A36A42FF-3B96-4454-8334-BBBCF6B21DA2.jpeg
    847.9 KB · Views: 15
So I have one roo who won’t go up. He ends up on top of the coop and I have to drag him down and coop him every night. Well, tonight was no different. Except tonight Mr Pickles didn’t go up. And my dog got him. I don’t see any broken skin. A few broken vessels maybe and a featherless spot on his leg, a small tear on his comb front, and a scuff on his leg. He’s very very docile, not total shock as he did jump up on the coop roof, ran across the run when we put him in, but he’s very docile and letting us handle him. Anything I should be worried about? His behavior is just not himself and he’s panting.
Photos of him in all his majesty earlier today.
If he's not acting himself, he may just be in a shocked state, or could have internal issues because of the dog.

Pictures of him after the incident?
Also...what is he standing on?
A rabbit hutch 😂 it was my bantam Cochin quarantine house for about a week. I don’t have photos because I just wanted to let him go in to roost in his known safe zone as to not stress him out more because he HATES being handled. The only person to handle him since he was ~7 weeks old is my husband and the handful of times I was able to get him off the coop roof after he’s been asleep for a couple hours. The only thing to really see is a spot on his inner thigh that’s featherless (about the size of 2 nickels), a teeny blood drop on the front edge of his comb, and a spot on his leg that’s kind of red but I’m not sure if that’s a scuff or hormones because we can’t get close enough to see legs. I check his feet over when he’s on top of the run on the outside and I go in under him and look at his feet, do as much visual as I can on him every couple days but it’s from a distance usually. I check my birds over at least twice a week, but I do a visual on him every chance I can because it’s small snippets before he runs and I can’t actually do a hands on.

If he's not acting himself, he may just be in a shocked state, or could have internal issues because of the dog.
If it’s shock, wouldn’t he basically be unresponsive? He’s not. He ran across the run like usual, went in to the coop, he worked his way to the middle roost where he always sleeps, and I went to check on him again and he started clacking his beak at me and giving me the stink eye and scooting down the roost (all normal behavior). Once we put him in the run he started acting fine.

A rabbit hutch 😂 it was my bantam Cochin quarantine house for about a week. I don’t have photos because I just wanted to let him go in to roost in his known safe zone as to not stress him out more because he HATES being handled. The only person to handle him since he was ~7 weeks old is my husband and the handful of times I was able to get him off the coop roof after he’s been asleep for a couple hours. The only thing to really see is a spot on his inner thigh that’s featherless (about the size of 2 nickels), a teeny blood drop on the front edge of his comb, and a spot on his leg that’s kind of red but I’m not sure if that’s a scuff or hormones because we can’t get close enough to see legs. I check his feet over when he’s on top of the run on the outside and I go in under him and look at his feet, do as much visual as I can on him every couple days but it’s from a distance usually. I check my birds over at least twice a week, but I do a visual on him every chance I can because it’s small snippets before he runs and I can’t actually do a hands on.
What does your coop look like?

Also, I could see where dog slobber was on his one leg that is featherless in a little spot but none anywhere else. So I am pretty confident he didn’t get grabbed anywhere else.

What does your coop look like?
This is the only photo I could find. Pickles usually goes up on the roof peak (well over 6’ off the ground) if it’s a day he has refused to go up and the dog is out. My flock free ranges my yard most of the day most days and my bigger dog is out but supervised or he’s inside. The only time the dog is out unsupervised is on naughty Pickles nights because we’ll try for over an hour and Pickles just won’t give up. That said, Pickles always goes up to the peak of the roof if the dog is out.

Attachments

• 8C130600-E59C-442E-B846-CE7DBF72E2AC.jpeg
    8C130600-E59C-442E-B846-CE7DBF72E2AC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
This is the only photo I could find. Pickles usually goes up on the roof peak (well over 6’ off the ground) if it’s a day he has refused to go up and the dog is out. My flock free ranges my yard most of the day most days and my bigger dog is out but supervised or he’s inside. The only time the dog is out unsupervised is on naughty Pickles nights because we’ll try for over an hour and Pickles just won’t give up. That said, Pickles always goes up to the peak of the roof if the dog is out.
There is a reason he doesn't go in there by himself.
I'm trying to figure out why.

How many birds do you have?

There is a reason he doesn't go in there by himself.
I'm trying to figure out why.

How many birds do you have?
He’s always been that way. Since they first came outside at about 7 weeks he’s been “flighty” with us and honestly rejected handling about 4/5 weeks old. Some days he goes up just fine, for a while he wasn’t going in like ever but the last month and a half he’s done better. He has even started “herding” the girls in at night for bedtime snacks and bed. I honestly think tonight he was spooked. There was a cat in my neighbors terribly tall yard stalking everyone through the chain link fence and the run/coop is right at the fence almost. Pickles kept the girls rounded up in the middle of my yard and up closer to the house and I had to herd everyone back in this evening. He didn’t want anyone near the back fence. He got a couple girls and took them back up towards the house at one point and I had to carry them out to the run. I’ve got 10 birds in the bigger coop/run and they free range the yard for now most of the day until I can make their run bigger. I’m pretty sure the cat is what kept him away, then the dog came out and idk what kept him from flying up.

Back
Top Bottom