1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MRSA in Pork

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by JohnL11935, Mar 12, 2009.

1. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is an article from today's (03-12-2009) New York Times titled "Our Pigs, Our Food, Our Health," about the presence of MRSA in pork. MRSA stands for Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus.

Yet another reason to raise your own.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/opinion/12kristof.html?_r=1

You may need to register with the site to read but it is free.

2. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I have four pigolas of my own, they are hilarious and growing well. I am still not used to their gutteral voices. So far they are one of the easiest livestock I have ever raised.

3. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    As Americans we are over protected some times. I have a neighbor from mexico who eats raw chicken, he has built up a resistance to stuff that would kill the common American and that alows him to do so.

MRSA and other resistiant bacteria like 157H7 is actually the fault of agriculture. I cringe every time I see a posting on here about a chicken with a running nose and 5 people pipe up and say "give it and antibiotic" It is this unregulated use of antibiotics by the agriculture industry that has developed these very dangerous superbugs. Antibiotics should not be used as a prophylaxis. labs should always be done to test the type of infection so the right antibiotic can be used.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    all I can say is WOW [​IMG]

I am wondering thought....why the cooking process did not kill off the MRSA? I guess it takes a higher heat to kill the MRSA.

5. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    The people did not get MRSA from eating pork but from being around them and taking care of them and then those people spread it to other people, like the doctor who took care of them.

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    It's living with and handing infected livestock or inected meat that passeses MRSA - not eating pork.

Excellent column. Love that Nick Kristof. Thanks for posting. BUY LOCAL AND SMALL_SCALE!

7. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Quote:Umm...as long as it is cooked properly this statement is true.

8. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I agree with sugarbush. I think that we often times over-react to things. In the animal kingdom its about survival of the fitest. A few weeks ago, I lost one of my three roosters. I love my pests, but life goes on.

Another thing that tends to annoy me is that of human intervention as it relates to trying to make our chickens go broody, how can I help, can I help it pip, she is not a good mother and the list goes on. If we look at humans, some indiviuals have good parenting skills and some don't. Im going to get off of my soap box. We just need to allow things to takes its course and be so reliant on antibiotics for the runny nose of our chickens.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by