MS Vent

queenofthebirds

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 30, 2016
Time to vent:

Let me start by my entire flock has come from “NPIP” breeders and hatcheries. I’ve been selling chicks for sometime, and with this recent craze in hatching and selling I decided I should get on the band wagon and get certified, well…

After years of treating my own flock as I had no nearby vet, learning as I went, figuring sickness happens as it does in any animal. I have been selling chicks, and breeding birds for sometime. I moved and finally had a nearby vet who would look at chickens, so when a hen recently got much sicker than usual I thought let me take her in, thinking infectious Coryza since her eye got so swollen which had never happened …well wouldn’t you know it comes back as MS.

Well after some research, I feel annoyed.

WHY DOES NPIP NOT TEST FOR MS/MG IN EVERY STATE IF ITS SOOOO SERIOUS.

Well It’s not…it’s not influenza or typhoid, it’s found all over, it’s not detrimental to a healthy flock, it can come from anywhere. Sometimes they don’t ever have symptoms. Why even consider culling your flock? Why do you have to stop breeding and lock your flock up.

Multiple sources state that close to 60% of backyard breeders are likely to have ms or mg.

It can be transmitted by wild birds, rats and walked in to your run on the bottom of your shoes!

Yet, now I’m told I can’t sell my chicks and my flock I’ve built for years should be culled?

But some states require it for NPIP and some don’t, this does not seem like it should be required in back yard flocks…commercial business sure I get it…but when your favorite NPIP breeder could be sending you all the MS/MG birds because the state isn’t testing…or a wild animal brought it in…why am I now being punished for something that’s not ever going away?

Am I missing anything? Am I the only one who feels like this?

Thanks for listening.

I think you are right. The motive here according to the Merck Veterinary manual is to not infect the commercial birds:

"Some potential reservoirs of M gallisepticum in the USA are noncommercial (backyard) flocks, multiple-age layer flocks, and some free-ranging songbird species. Good management and biosecurity practices are necessary to ensure that M gallisepticum infections are not introduced to commercial poultry from these and other sources. In many outbreaks, the source of infection is unknown. Cold weather, poor air quality or crowding, concurrent infections, and some live virus vaccinations may facilitate infection, disease, and transmission."

So, you are being punished so that the factory farms can kill baby boy chickens at 2-days old by putting them alive into a grinder, and so that they can put hens in battery cages, cut their beaks so that they are in constant pain, and then rid of them as soon as they don't lay eggs.

I am dealing with this right now. I can't sell or bring in anything new. I apparently can't sell eggs. They all have to die. I was telling them how 100% of my birds came from Ideal Poultry and Ideal does not test yet they don't care. My MS very well came from a hatchery and this is not fair that hatcheries are making millions yet spreading this disease.

Time to vent:

Let me start by my entire flock has come from “NPIP” breeders and hatcheries. I’ve been selling chicks for sometime, and with this recent craze in hatching and selling I decided I should get on the band wagon and get certified, well…

After years of treating my own flock as I had no nearby vet, learning as I went, figuring sickness happens as it does in any animal. I have been selling chicks, and breeding birds for sometime. I moved and finally had a nearby vet who would look at chickens, so when a hen recently got much sicker than usual I thought let me take her in, thinking infectious Coryza since her eye got so swollen which had never happened …well wouldn’t you know it comes back as MS.

Well after some research, I feel annoyed.

WHY DOES NPIP NOT TEST FOR MS/MG IN EVERY STATE IF ITS SOOOO SERIOUS.

Well It’s not…it’s not influenza or typhoid, it’s found all over, it’s not detrimental to a healthy flock, it can come from anywhere. Sometimes they don’t ever have symptoms. Why even consider culling your flock? Why do you have to stop breeding and lock your flock up.

Multiple sources state that close to 60% of backyard breeders are likely to have ms or mg.

It can be transmitted by wild birds, rats and walked in to your run on the bottom of your shoes!

Yet, now I’m told I can’t sell my chicks and my flock I’ve built for years should be culled?

But some states require it for NPIP and some don’t, this does not seem like it should be required in back yard flocks…commercial business sure I get it…but when your favorite NPIP breeder could be sending you all the MS/MG birds because the state isn’t testing…or a wild animal brought it in…why am I now being punished for something that’s not ever going away?

Am I missing anything? Am I the only one who feels like this?

Thanks for listening.
Most flocks have it. I’ve been told 70-80% of breeders flocks would test positive which is also why it’s not typically required for NPIP. Most would fail if required to test for MG. If you think about it NPIP is rather pointless except in ensuring that pylorium typhoid stays eradicated in almost all states. Some states require AI testing but unless it’s done within 48-72 hours of shipping then that’s a pointless test. Mareks is ubiquitous and not a required test. AVL can transfer through eggs and not a required test. Lots of rumors about big breeders with sick flocks. The whole system seems rather ridiculous honestly. NPIP status is easy to obtain so loses its value in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom