1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mud Management

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ultasol, Dec 22, 2009.

1. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    How do you manage the mud in runs when your ducks have to be cooped up?

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I just finished tarping my run with a heavy-duty building tarp (for those tarp car-ports) today.

It was getting pretty muddy so I will see how this works. A roof is the only way i can imagine to keep the mud gone, but then they're still pretty messy with the water.

last year, we laid own a thick layer of sand & it worked pretty well but gets yucky really quickly. it's not the best for drainage either, the water just kind of sits on top and makes a stream if it can.

i want to have a cement run when i build the new duck pens. i think it'll be much easier to keep clean and clean out. i plan on using shavings on top of it to avoid any foot damage but I also hope it will help keep their nails dull too since i only have Muscovy's.

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I've been using pea gravel for the muddy bits... it's been working good.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I'll be watcing this thread seeing as my pen is mud. MUD! I do go out and fine logs for them though, so that they all have something to perch on.

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    My wild duck aviary gets muddy in some places...we placed a lot of rocks around the pond and that seems to work, but I think I will put some pea gravel in some spots

6. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I am hoping to get, at some point, some muscovies. I can only IMAGINE the mess, so I thought I would ask now. My geese have several acres of pasture,. although their pasture area was cut in half in fall when I redid one large area.

Good idea with the pea gravel, but does it get clogged with poop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by