Mud Mud Glorious Mud

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shella, Nov 1, 2011.

1. shella

shella Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    BATH
    hi all
    OK my chicken are free range with electric fence i was fine in the summer
    but winter is upon us and what was green has now turned brown and evil with a mind of its own
    you see my back garden is on a very steep hill when i go out to feed and water them
    i might as well be waring skies i am slipping and sliding up and down the brown stuff
    i know i look funny with two buckets one on each arm fr ailing like a demented mad woman trying
    not to scream and failing dismally
    OK enough of my ranting
    what would you suggest that i cover my alian mud pit with i tyred saw dust of all sizes and that
    just sank without trace
    any help would be well appreciated thanks

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

old boards/pallets as a walkway?

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    gravel

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Sand, I had the same problem in my coop and run, have used 3 tons so far, have another ton, to which we are topping things off. Also planted some elderberry bushes to add shade. Sand is cheap. Construction sand was 28$ a ton delivered. Don't buy bags, look up you nearest gravel retailer and have them dump it on the spot.

5. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:I agree! Sand and gravel will sink into the mud in short time. Having been a dump truck driver I've hauled a lot of gravel repeatedly to the same customer to replace what sank.

Old barn boards,wooden skids/shipping pallets and the like are the best answer. In your case I'd go with shipping pallets as they will keep you up out of the mud and the small gaps between the boards will serve as foot holds going uphill.

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Whatever you do, don't wear old crocs!! Once the tread is gone on those.... whew! My pens are downhill, too. I went down three times in one day! [​IMG]

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I'd use the pallets also. Everything else will just sink. I did have the power company bring me a few loads of chipped wood. That helped alot.

FYI... I wished we had some mud. No rain for months. Just sand.[​IMG]

8. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Not meaning to hijack the thread but, FarmGirl you're welcome to come over to Kentucky and collect some of the rain we're getting [​IMG]

9. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Hay!

10. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a landscaping company dump chipped wood in my driveway for free -
    then carted it to the backyard and made a massive path to the coop.
    It is about 8inches deep/tall and 4ft wide. Makes a great mud-free walking path.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by