Muddy’s homestead expansion journey!

Pics
Mine act calm and peaceful as I carry them to the chopping block.
If I handle them I find it's emotionally difficult for me to wack them. So I let the broodies raise them. This one was from a broody that showed up last August with 7 chicks about a week old.

I will say when I incubate and give the chicks to the broody to raise, it's a lot calmer at harvest time.

Mine are a mix. Especially if I have more than one at a time. Usually if I can hold them like I'm burping a baby, they stay much calmer than the normal football tuck
This guy was frantic to get away, I had been pretty sure from the get go he was dinner..... I think they can tell. His hatch mate I am keeping as backup until I decide on this year's cockerels . He comes running up when I feed, stands between my feet eating out of the bucket.

If I handle them I find it's emotionally difficult for me to wack them. So I let the broodies raise them. This one was from a broody that showed up last August with 7 chicks about a week old.

I will say when I incubate and give the chicks to the broody to raise, it's a lot calmer at harvest time.
This! Except I STILL hug them.
Dang sweet roosters. 🤫 (I didn't need 90 roosters)

I don't play with my food anymore....I feel like I have betrayed them when I'm friends with them and then ...wack.
Same, I stopped playing around with chickens awhile ago, surely makes it easier come wackachic time. I put down my favorite chicken of all time this year. Was one of my originals (blk jersey giant)
Something was wrong and I wasn’t gonna let her suffer.

Back
Top Bottom