Muddy coop

buffred

Hatching
Dec 26, 2015
Kentucky
I have 4 different coops. 2 are on the ground 2 are off ground. Well needless to say my 2 on the ground are badly muddy and wet. One is so bad the chickens stand and their feet are burried in mud the other, well the middle of it is a pond. I have worried myself to death and feel like im defeated everyone says straw or hay draws mites causes respiratory problems then sand will roll on out I dont know what to do and im driving myself insane wondering. People tell me ahh it aint hurting them chickens. Someone just help me relax and ease my thoughts with a good idea please ive even though about moving yhe coops somehow by jacking them up and somehow getting them yo a different part of the yard bit i dont know how id move them without breaking them.

If you have high and dry ground, you can rent a bobcat with forks. Lift the whole building and move it. I built my coops on legs so I could do just that.

They aren't OK standing in mud all day. They aren't ducks.

Wet hay may cause respiratory problems when it molds.

You can build a frame around the coop/run and fill the interior with sand that will allow the water to drain through.

Can you open the gates to let them forage and find higher drier ground till time to roost?

Last edited:
Hmm, I have my coop on the ground, but I put pavers under it as flooring, made it water tide with silicone and buildet a little swale so the water flows away from the coop. I think, you could still bring in sand to level the ground and lay pavers. .... maybe put a swale or some concrete around so the water cannot flow directly into the coop. As an interim solution you could bring pine chips and pine needles into the coops to dry the mud up. They should be very cheap now and a great mulch for your garden later.

My coop was the same way. Just last year I still had issues. Finally this year it is built up much better. I got pallets free & put some down, put my rabbit cages on them. On that side of the coop, I boarded up so only the rabbits were there. The chickens were on the other side without standing water. One night 3 chickens got to the other side, got wet & literally froze.

I used sand, manure, dirt, straw from replenishing nest boxes, and whatever else I could find to build it up. It no longer holds water. Our coop is usually muddy though because they free range daily & the yard is like a swamp. Anyway, one great resource I have found is wood shavings. Around here, they are cheaper than straw. Sometimes tree companies will even give them to you for free. I buy mine at the feed store. And we use a lot of them. But a bag lasts a long time.

welcome-byc.gif

Thank you all for the tips. Yes I rotate days letting them out to walk and all im going to use some of these tips and get back with you all thanks again so much I really appreciate it.

Thank you all for the tips. Yes I rotate days letting them out to walk and all im going to use some of these tips and get back with you all thanks again so much I really appreciate it.

Also, to add words of encouragement, this has been an exceptionally crazy rainy warm winter. My yard looks like a lake. Front and back. And today when I was outside I noticed dandelions growing.....??? As you know, that is unheard of in Ohio, in December. Hang in there. Good luck with the coop. Let us know if you need any more advice.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Sounds like it will be very important to get those chickens to dry land one way or another. Is there any way you can you move them into one of the other coops while you work on getting the coop moved or try to fix the drainage problem? Is bringing in sand an option?

Back
Top Bottom