Muddy coop

It was coming in sideways here, too.

I've used clear plastic shower curtain liners to cover the rained-in side of my run in the past. Worked great. Wouldn't have made much difference yesterday with the 14 inches we got....
How did you hang the curtains? How did you secure it so that it didn't blow in the wind? We only had 3". I'm glad it wasn't more than that.

I have a huge covered run with a good overhang. It was literally raining sideways yesterday, my run on the duck side is a muddy mess (more so than usual 😁). I had to even clean out their housing since the rain came in slanted. Their housing is under the roofed run. The only thing dry was anything on the south side of the run, but the north side is a mess due to the wind and rain.
Keep one eye on the weather, East Coast. If yesterday's storm along the Mid-Atlantic area is any indication, All Parts North are due for another deluge. It came out of nowhere ... we were thinking that the forecasters were mistaken ... then BAMM, There it was! Now we have a Nor'Easter coming in, this afternoon. I want my summer back ... and so do my chickens!

I lay pallets down and fill all the spaces between the slats with leaves,soiled coop bedding and dirt so when it all settles there are no gaps. The chickens have a dry place to stand on when its wet and love to dig and peck around in it .The bedding and leaves will be ready for the garden beds in 12 months or so. Just Lift the pallet to remove the compost and place in your garden before repeating the same steps. My chickens love pallet islands!

Attachments

• WP_20211026_14_58_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211026_14_58_26_Pro.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 6
How did you hang the curtains? How did you secure it so that it didn't blow in the wind? We only had 3". I'm glad it wasn't more than that.
I had them affixed at the bottom to 2x4s. I could roll them up and down. It worked well. Wasn't necessarily pretty, but function over style.

I lay pallets down and fill all the spaces between the slats with leaves,soiled coop bedding and dirt so when it all settles there are no gaps. The chickens have a dry place to stand on when its wet and love to dig and peck around in it .The bedding and leaves will be ready for the garden beds in 12 months or so. Just Lift the pallet to remove the compost and place in your garden before repeating the same steps. My chickens love pallet islands!
This is a great idea! Would have helped this past weekend, that's for sure! I did end up putting pavers out there, but it was no fun to do that in the driving rain. Next time I know a big storm is coming, I will do this. Thanks!

adress your water run off.
I dug a ditch and back filled with the same wood chips i use in the run. Looks like a walking path now.
I added a one foot of over hang at a down angle like an owning as well as some tin at ground level on the back wall to cut the wind driven water from blowing in. Now the pine flake shavings keep it from being muddy in the worst rain. The run has wood chips so it can't be anything but dry.
I use a staple gun to put up plastic when we get cold north wind chill in the teens-0. our winter last 5 days in Jan. and 5 days in Feb. lol

Attachments

• SSPX1044.JPG
    SSPX1044.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 4
  • SSPX1049.JPG
    SSPX1049.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    893.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0696 (1).JPG
    IMG_0696 (1).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5
adress your water run off.
I dug a ditch and back filled with the same wood chips i use in the run. Looks like a walking path now.
I added a one foot of over hang at a down angle like an owning as well as some tin at ground level on the back wall to cut the wind driven water from blowing in. Now the pine flake shavings keep it from being muddy in the worst rain. The run has wood chips so it can't be anything but dry.
I use a staple gun to put up plastic when we get cold north wind chill in the teens-0. our winter last 5 days in Jan. and 5 days in Feb. lol
Great pics! I ended up doing just that: digging a trench alongside the run, and that helped tremendously. But it was impossible to keep it dry this weekend - haha! There was a constant flow of water - covered the tops of my feet - streaming down the grade. It looked like a dam's spillway. It washed down the hill, under the coop, through the run, and into our workshop. It was unprecedented in out area. I'm going to do some serious work out there this weekend.

Great pics! I ended up doing just that: digging a trench alongside the run, and that helped tremendously. But it was impossible to keep it dry this weekend - haha! There was a constant flow of water - covered the tops of my feet - streaming down the grade. It looked like a dam's spillway. It washed down the hill, under the coop, through the run, and into our workshop. It was unprecedented in out area. I'm going to do some serious work out there this weekend.
That last storm system was NASTY! I had rain coming in and under places that aren't EVER supposed to be gettin' wet - and not just in the chickens' run ... in MINE, as well! We're nearlu dried out and recaulked ... just in time for the next line of storms, this weekend. Can I just have my Mommy now and be done with it? Zheesh!

Back
Top Bottom