Muddy run! Help please!

Likes Bee's description and advise here....great video too, shows clearly what can be hard to explain

Also try to divert any runoff from surrounding areas if possible.

Last edited:
All wonderful info!!! I think the most practical thing for us is the method beekissed explained. Started gathering leaves and twigs :)

My run was muddy aft ran too. We finally bit the dust and roofed & remodeled our whole pen. We also put plastic sheeting over the walls to avoid the rain from blowing in. The run is now covers with shavings which has greatly helped the quality of life our chicks have. They really enjoy it...in fact it's so nice we may move in ourselves.....

When planning a chicken and run, think of rotation.  The ground recovers from the constant scratching while they're in the other area.

Unfortunately, many individuals lack the space to implement a rotational approach to chicken keeping. If I had more land, I would love to rotate my flock between paddocks planted with different cover crops through the year. Until that day comes I will have to do my best with our 1/2 acre of "eco-lawn", little backyard garden plot, and deep litter pen.

Unfortunately, many individuals lack the space to implement a rotational approach to chicken keeping. If I had more land, I would love to rotate my flock between paddocks planted with different cover crops through the year. Until that day comes I will have to do my best with our 1/2 acre of "eco-lawn", little backyard garden plot, and deep litter pen.
I've seen poor flock owners who have acres of land but still choose to keep their chickens in a small muddy run, which many of you would put that land to good use for your flocks.

My coop floor is a combination of dirt,leaves and pine chips. My run floor is just ground. My girls a very spoiled. They have my 9 acres plus the surrounding horse pastures to roam. Currently they don't even have a run, just a window in the coop ( which is actually a barn 16×24) that I open mid day after collecting eggs and morning feed is gone. Like I said though, spoiled flock.

We have a decent size backyard in the county. By no means do we have acres of property, but the girls sleep in the coop at night. They have a fenced in run, but they spend all day long free ranging the back yard. I have very happy girls. Once we get ahold of the mud problem all will be well ;)

Back
Top Bottom