Muddy run.. Is it a problem?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Quack-a-DoodleDo, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Quack-a-DoodleDo

Quack-a-DoodleDo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    My question is what do you do about a muddy run? Do you put hay over the mud or just let it be? Do you have a roof over the run? It gets really nasty.There isnt standing water or anything like that, just a lot of muck. Thanks:)

2. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    You could probably put a tarp over it to keep it from getting that way. Thats what Im doing! [​IMG]

3. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    I had tarps over for winter and also dumped bales of wood shavings in the run after storms made it yuck. Worked well. [​IMG]

4. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    i just put a cover on mine today. $99 from Tractor supply. Even with sand the water drains away but with the sloppy wet snow we have been getting its just a mess.
    The pipes come grey, I gave them a coat of black

[​IMG]
    tarps on the side of prevailing winds for the winter
    yes I'm standing on a ladder to take the pic.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  5. Quack-a-DoodleDo

Aug 9, 2011
    Quote:Do you mean you got the whole set-up including the pipes and fencing for $99? Or just the cover?

6. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
  7. Quack-a-DoodleDo

Aug 9, 2011
    Quote:Oh I see:) I really like the look of this. Nice and neat! I just might have to get this set up. Thank you!!

8. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:Where did you get that fence & what kind is it? Did you get it at TSC too? I see the TSC cover fits it good. I have a chain link dog kennel that I bought somewhere else & was wondering if the TSC cover would fit it ok, but I do like your run! [​IMG]

9. fireman190

fireman190 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    I like that run set up too....where did you get it? I have clear plastic over top of run now...but I also put pine shavings in the run to help with mud.

Quote:Where did you get that fence & what kind is it? Did you get it at TSC too? I see the TSC cover fits it good. I have a chain link dog kennel that I bought somewhere else & was wondering if the TSC cover would fit it ok, but I do like your run! [​IMG]

10. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours got really muddy recently when we got several days of rain in a row. DH threw some hay in there and they were pretty wary at first, but now they seem to love it. They like to stay on the part with the hay instead of on the dirt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by