Muddy run...

Chickenman MAN

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
United Kingdom South Devon
This is more of a concern and question rather than an emergency. I live in England (rains alot haha) and therefore a fair bit of our run gets muddy! We have out a tarpaulin which makes it less muddy but at the same time... it is still muddy. What I was wondering is if the mud is bad for the chooks or their feet or health ect. There don't seem to be problems as of now. Thanks!

I think mud is fine, as long as there's no puddles.

If it continues to be muddy, (I live in the USA so I don't know about England's climate) then maybe sprinkle wood shavings and tube sand.

I’ve never had issues with mud I actually flood my run on purpose sometimes to get my chickens feet’s wet on hot summer days. I would put something down on it like shavings, hay, sand, gravel etc.

I would look into grading the land around your run so that water is shifted away from it. Pictures of your coop and run might be helpful to those who would have suggestions on how to help. Sand is an excellent base for runs, and many can get it free around creeks. Most building stores sell it as well. Feet continually being muddy and wet can lead to footpad dermatitis and bumblefoot infections.

I would look into grading the land around your run so that water is shifted away from it. Pictures of your coop and run might be helpful to those who would have suggestions on how to help. Sand is an excellent base for runs, and many can get it free around creeks. Most building stores sell it as well. Feet continually being muddy and wet can lead to footpad dermatitis and bumblefoot infections.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about feet illnesses for lack of a better term. Here are some images. Unfortunately sand is rather expensive, about 1.2 pounds a bag. I think I'd need a fair few bags! I like the idea of grading the land. This is on a slope with a large neighbours fence behind it where their field rises up about 1.2 metres higher or so. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG-0281.JPG
    IMG-0281.JPG
    729.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-0290.JPG
    IMG-0290.JPG
    563.8 KB · Views: 9
I’ve never had issues with mud I actually flood my run on purpose sometimes to get my chickens feet’s wet on hot summer days. I would put something down on it like shavings, hay, sand, gravel etc.
Yeah... no offense but I thought shavings could lead to respiratory issues?

Back
Top Bottom