1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Where the heck is SPRING!!!!!! [​IMG] I am so tired of this cold and rainy weather. [​IMG] My run is a muddy, sticky mess. I have bought 3 bales of straw so far to put int he run.

It will be nice here for the next three days but rain all weekend again. [​IMG]

Just had to get that off my chest, I think spring is going to skip over us.

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    We are having amazing weather here for a change - sunny and warm, most unlike the UK and especially Wales!!

3. snixter3

snixter3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    I am in Indiana, we are having rain rain rain too. The run is also a muddy mess. The chicks don't seem to mind.

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

And everytime we have a muddy run, that equals dirty eggs [​IMG]

5. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

In NJ, we are having rain just about every other day, it seems. My yard is a muddy slippery mess. The chicks are staying in the coop but the ducklings are loving the walk to their run and spending time nuzzling down in the mud looking for stuff.

Although this weekend is supposed to turn around nicely.

Keeping my fingers crossed. [​IMG]

6. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I feel ya. I am in ohio and I was going to start my coop on Sunday and it has rained until today. There is still a chance to rain and it is cloudy and 58F out. They said the weekend will be much better.

Here's Hoping

7. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Quote:Wait... Sunny in Wales?? That's amazing! [​IMG]

8. Diane's Rooster

Diane's Rooster New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    Hey- I'm just getting ready to rebuild a coop and run. Any ideas on using something hard on the floor of the run to prevent the MUD.
    WE had set the existing right on the loam and leaf mulch and the chickens enjoyed diggeing and dusting so much I was thinking of doing it again but then the rains came.

9. citygirl

citygirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    We have 3 runs and they all have large pine bark mulch in them. The chickens all scratch in it and it's not deep but it prevents mud. After several years it needs to be refreshed a bit but it's great!

10. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    When your runs are all muddy and under water do you let the chicks out or do you keep them in untill it dries out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by