Mulberries OK?????

gosh i hope the tree is not poisonous!!?? everybody at my house should be dead years ago...
my horses and goats eat every part, bark, leaves , branches, fruit,, for many many years now..
the house i used to live at had purple mulberries.. the house i live at now has white mulberries(there is also black and red type).. the wild birds and chickens(and me) seam to prefer the purple fruit.. it is much sweeter... makes great pies..
the 2 white mulberries are IN the chicken yard.. never had a problem.. and now i plan to buy 2 purple mulberries and plant those out in the chicken yard...
someone that plants a fruiting mulberry CLOSE tothe house is just a ***bad word****...

Something I have found interesting with our trees is that some trees are producing tastier berries than others.

That would be because there are 3 main species of mulberries and they have hybridized. The non native white mulberry is a bit sweeter but tends to lack flavor, the black mulberry that is also not native and grows in slightly warmer climates is considered the best mix of sweet and tart, and the red mulberry leans toward being tart but whether a good pure red mulberry is better or worse than black is a matter of opinion. The nasty tasting berries happen when the white mulberries hybridize with the red (it's very hard to find pure native trees anymore). Instead of improving the sweet flavor they just make bitter mulberries.

There are also berryless mulberry trees produced for use in landscaping without causing the purple stains everywhere.​

gosh i hope the tree is not poisonous!!?? everybody at my house should be dead years ago...
my horses and goats eat every part, bark, leaves , branches, fruit,, for many many years now..
the house i used to live at had purple mulberries.. the house i live at now has white mulberries(there is also black and red type).. the wild birds and chickens(and me) seam to prefer the purple fruit.. it is much sweeter... makes great pies..
the 2 white mulberries are IN the chicken yard.. never had a problem.. and now i plan to buy 2 purple mulberries and plant those out in the chicken yard...
someone that plants a fruiting mulberry CLOSE tothe house is just a ***bad word****...
Yess. Jesus I've got one right out my front door and omfg every year for 2 months were suffocating on berries and purple stains on everything

Back
Top Bottom