Mulberries?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by 2DogsFarm, Jun 25, 2010.

1. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Since my neighborhood birds have planted several mulberry trees in my meadow I was wondering if anyone has mulberry recipes.

I remember eating the berries straight off the tree as a kid, but never cooked with them.

Can I use them in place of blackberries in a recipe?

2. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    LOL!
    I checked this morning and the birds have eaten everything off the tree!
    Guess I need to be quicker next year.

I just saw your psot about green apples and may have to try that this year.
    The sugared crust recipe sounds like a treat all by itself : 9

4. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    A few years ago, I made a mulberry jam. I was going to enter it in the county fair, but my mom forgot to take it in. It was a pain collecting the mulberries, though. They fall on the ground and get smooshed before i can get to them! I might try again next year, I didn't get around to collecting any this year. They are so delicate, and are such a mild-flavored berry, that I can't really think of anything to do with them aside from jam.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
  6. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:I have childhood memories of climbing a tree and shaking the branches as my sisters held an old sheet underneath. Then we would sit on the ground an pick out the berries.

7. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Mulberry trees grow everywhere here, and I have one in my backyard, so 2 years ago, when I first moved to town I made mulberry cobbler. Everyone that ate it loved it. This year I made a mixed berry preserves with mulberries, blackberries, blueberries, and red raspberries, but it came out a tad too sweet. I wish I'd had some lemon juice on hand that day. They're mostly gone for the year now, but what remains I will be feeding to my over spoiled chickens. I deliberately built my standard's chicken yard around the mulberry tree just so they can stand under it and wait for us to toss the ripe berries to them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by