Mulberry face on Birchen Moderns

LarryTX

Songster
6 Years
Sep 23, 2016
North-central Texas
I recently went to a show where the judge chose not to use Birchen Modern Game Bantams because the faces were too red. The judge was correct that they are suppose to be mulberry, but have not been so strict on it in the past. Has anyone else witnessed this happening? Than you

I recently went to a show where the judge chose not to use Birchen Modern Game Bantams because the faces were too red. The judge was correct that they are suppose to be mulberry, but have not been so strict on it in the past. Has anyone else witnessed this happening? Than you
According the Standard of Perfection, the faces are suppose to be mulberry over red. Some judges are more picky over this than others are. Brown reds have the same description, and I’ve seen a red face bird place high at one show, then be completely overlooked at another because of its face color. Technically speaking the red faced birds do not match standard, but it truly depends on the judge and their opinion!

According the Standard of Perfection, the faces are suppose to be mulberry over red. Some judges are more picky over this than others are. Brown reds have the same description, and I’ve seen a red face bird place high at one show, then be completely overlooked at another because of its face color. Technically speaking the red faced birds do not match standard, but it truly depends on the judge and their opinion!

I read that in the Standard as well and I didn’t disagree with the judge. Mulberry it is. I have always accepted the judges opinion. The reason I thought this may be something new the judges have agreed on is because last year the red faced bird won the Show Champion male bantam. This year the same judge said he couldn’t use the bird because his face was not dark enough. From here on out I will breed for the mulberry color. That way I can’t go wrong on face color. Thanks for sharing your information.

I read that in the Standard as well and I didn’t disagree with the judge. Mulberry it is. I have always accepted the judges opinion. The reason I thought this may be something new the judges have agreed on is because last year the red faced bird won the Show Champion male bantam. This year the same judge said he couldn’t use the bird because his face was not dark enough. From here on out I will breed for the mulberry color. That way I can’t go wrong on face color. Thanks for sharing your information.
Of course!
If you have red faced birds you wish to keep or breed, I suggest finding a dark skinned (not just mulberry faced) bird to breed into your flock. This will produce birds with either dark skin, or mulberry faces, while keeping the good color/type genetics from the red faced bird. That is how some of my pairs are being bred this year.

Of course!
If you have red faced birds you wish to keep or breed, I suggest finding a dark skinned (not just mulberry faced) bird to breed into your flock. This will produce birds with either dark skin, or mulberry faces, while keeping the good color/type genetics from the red faced bird. That is how some of my pairs are being bred this year.
I don’t know how to send a private message but there is another way to show the red faced birds. It won’t help in the breeding program which is the best way, but you can show red faced birds.

Comparison judging is the downfall of poultry shows. DQs for under and over weight are commonly ignored. In many cases a correct weight guarantees not placing. There is a minimum score of 90 for self colors and 89 for parti-colors to qualify for first place in any class. This is also commonly ignored. The old saying "You can't compare apples to orange" applies here. The only fair way is to compare each to the standard and then compare scores. It's not completely fair to blame the judges when the system is at fault.

Comparison judging is the downfall of poultry shows. DQs for under and over weight are commonly ignored. In many cases a correct weight guarantees not placing. There is a minimum score of 90 for self colors and 89 for parti-colors to qualify for first place in any class. This is also commonly ignored. The old saying "You can't compare apples to orange" applies here. The only fair way is to compare each to the standard and then compare scores. It's not completely fair to blame the judges when the system is at fault.

Hi TomNY - I didn’t mean to sound as if I was holding the judges to blame for the way the shows go. I appreciate what they do. What I was trying to find out was if the judges, as a whole, have decided to not use red faces when the Standard calls for the mulberry color on Birchen Moderns. Obviously, I am not a judge but I suspect the comparison vs. Standard methods is to cut down on the time it takes to judge the birds. Thank you for your post. I always learn something when reading all the post. Have an awesome day.

Hi TomNY - I didn’t mean to sound as if I was holding the judges to blame for the way the shows go. I appreciate what they do. What I was trying to find out was if the judges, as a whole, have decided to not use red faces when the Standard calls for the mulberry color on Birchen Moderns. Obviously, I am not a judge but I suspect the comparison vs. Standard methods is to cut down on the time it takes to judge the birds. Thank you for your post. I always learn something when reading all the post. Have an awesome day.

I wasn't finding fault with any posts. I was expressing my opinion.

I don’t know how to send a private message but there is another way to show the red faced birds. It won’t help in the breeding program which is the best way, but you can show red faced birds.
I wasn't finding fault with any posts. I was expressing my opinion.

I appreciate your posts and the fact that you share your knowledge of showing birds.

Back
Top Bottom