Multi-Purpose Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by E.M. Silkies, Feb 22, 2011.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Ok, so I had an area blocked off and I was going to make it for my chickens--all of my egg layers. But now I'm thinking I want it to be multi purpose. Like for goats and chickens... Is it ok to keep them together?

I was also planning on doing bird netting over the top for the chickens, will that still be ok for the goats? As long as I make it high enough so it's out of the goats way?

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

E.M. Silkies :

Ok, so I had an area blocked off and I was going to make it for my chickens--all of my egg layers. But now I'm thinking I want it to be multi purpose. Like for goats and chickens... Is it ok to keep them together?

I was also planning on doing bird netting over the top for the chickens, will that still be ok for the goats? As long as I make it high enough so it's out of the goats way?

Better build it for goats not chickens then cover it with the wire. Here is my coop and run area after My goats got done with it....

[​IMG]
    and my demolishers Rikki and Domino
    [​IMG]
    Whatcha doin Maaaa.... [​IMG] I have two others Diego and Little Miss Dewdrop. The fences are Dog kennel panels and several were demolished by constant mischef.[​IMG] [​IMG] I do soo love my goaties.....[​IMG]

All four hung out with the chickens they LOVED chikens. But Guard the chicken feed. They LOVE scratch its like candy [​IMG] or Goat Crack. [​IMG]

3. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    I like that! I was going to do regular fencing, I think it's horse wire. And then make the netting fall over the pen like a tent so it wont be in the goats way. I heard to keep them out of the chicken feed, I think that'll be my little project to figure out! Are their any health concerns I need to be aware of with having them together?

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Our 4 fainting goats share stall and pasture space with our 4 RIR roo's. They don't bother our fence other that rubbing on it for itches.

5. perchie.girl

E.M. Silkies :

I like that! I was going to do regular fencing, I think it's horse wire. And then make the netting fall over the pen like a tent so it wont be in the goats way. I heard to keep them out of the chicken feed, I think that'll be my little project to figure out! Are their any health concerns I need to be aware of with having them together?

What ever keeps the goats in. Should be good. My mistake with the Dog panels is the fact that chainlink is a perfect scratching rubbing material. They eventually streatched out the clips on the bottom and the wire rolled up and away from the pipe. If I had to do it over with what I have I would put a board rail about the hight where they would rub along the fence.

I am relocating the goats from my backyard to the Horse corral by lining the corral with horse fence. This will give them more room and eventually I can expand their area from the horse corral up into the Big rocks that are on my property. So they will have rocks to play on.

I dont think there are any health concerns at all as long as you can feed the scratch inside the coop. OH and make that chicken pop door frame VERY stout. or inaccessible. Where a goat can find a hole they will try to get through just out of goatie curiosity. And they wont give up. The picture of my destroyed coop is actually half coop and half goat shed. The first few months I had the goats they broke out of that shed seveal times and greeted me at the back door for breakfast. By the way its not evident in the pictures but the coop has one solid wood wall and when I had chickens and goats in it the roof was a very stout full sized silver tarp.

My place is in the high desert. Cool and dry in winter Hot and dry in summer. The only thing I have to protect them from is the WIND and the occasional rainy day and preditors.​

6. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    Yes that would work fine and goats make really good chicken protectors

7. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I have 2 chickens with my 4 nigerian dwarf goats and while they get along ok, I have to plug up EVERY hole the goats can find/make to get to chicken feed.

8. perchie.girl

Quote:LOL.... love dem goaties I love this smily because goats do this [​IMG] along with the Bluh Bluh Bluh noiise

9. perchie.girl

check this site out its a live chicken cam and every time you feed the chickens watch the goats "butt in" No pun intended....LOL

http://flyingskunk.com/live.php

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by