Multiple concerns with tiny flock- seeking advice please

My1stChickens

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2015
Texas, USA
I only have six hens, so I'm baffled as to how I have multiple concerns but here we go.
1. Red sex link hen, always the picture of health, lays 13 eggs every two weeks. 8 days ago, she did not look right- puffed up, lethargic, comb not quite straight and perky, and darkish/turning purple. I put her in a cage and expected to lose her-- looked like heart failure to me. For several days, she barely ate, but would drink a little. Very loose poop, almost entirely white. Heat lamp as needed. Each morning I figured she'd be gone, but she stayed with me. On about day 5, she started showing more interest in food- specifically egg, pellet mush, and grass clippings. Started pooping a bit, and there was green in it. Comb is a good color, eyes are bright again. Still a messy vent (but vent not red or inflamed-- on a day she seemed strong enough I washed her up). Let her out with her flock for a short while yesterday and she got picked on. So today is the 8th day in the cage. She eats, but not as much as she should. Drinks pretty well. Much more active in grooming herself, bright and alert, stands up a lot more. But still puffed up, and her comb is not entirely upright even though the color is good/normal. Still messy butt. I'm considering probiotics and/or Denagard as next steps? Would appreciate thoughts.

2. Since I mentioned messy butts, actually 2 other hens have developed messy butts. (ancient Easter egger, and the other red sex link) They are otherwise bright, eating well, and at least the old girl is laying. This makes me wonder if I should do probiotics and/or Denagard for the flock?

3. Someone (either the Buff orphington with NO issues, or the red sex link with the messy butt) has laid a fairy egg two days in a row. The second was bigger than the first, but still a fairy egg.

4. My weird EE hen who is 3 this year, and has NEVER laid an egg, is breathing audibly. At night she might open her beak slightly, but all day, if it's quiet/no other noise, you can just hear her breathe. No gargling or foam, or sneezing or distress. She is very active (always has been very flighty/skitzo), eating, drinking, chickening, weight is good, etc. I've always known she's just not right, but the audible breathing is new.

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice from the experts. Thanks for reading.

Oh-- they all eat no soy no corn organic pellets but lately I have treated them with raw sunflower seeds and Grublees for protein and when it's cold they get scratch grains. I'm in Texas and we did have a highly unusual and prolonged cold snap recently, but they were in an insulated barn and never lost their heat lamp. Their "coop" is 11'x13' and they go out daily to a fenced fortress that is about 30' by 60'. Wild birds do find their way into the play area. (Cardinals, finches, etc). They have all been treated for Coccidiosis in the past. I have not wormed for a long time, since the last time I did the Wazine combined with summer heat seemed to result in a couple tragedies.

Back
Top Bottom