Multiple coops

Jmsguyette

In the Brooder
May 6, 2018
If I have multiple coops will my chickens return to a certain one? I am trying to have different breeds and want to keep them separate for breeding but able to free range at the same time.

If you get your birds started in different coops it can work, but they might all become one big flock. Especially when baby chicks start hatching, those will definitely group up. Now, as mentioned before you can keep each breed in their coop for two weeks, and then let them free range and see how they do. But I'd say overall it's easier to just free range each flock during different hours

want to keep them separate for breeding but able to free range at the same time.

Welcome to BYC. If you put your general location into your profile we can give better targeted advice when climate matters. :)

The problem with this idea is that unless your flocks are WIDELY separated into territories where they are unlikely to interact, the breeds will not stay separate.

The most dominant rooster will drive off the others and claim all the hens. The subordinate roosters will sneak in and mate with any hens they can catch.

Back
Top Bottom