Multiple eggs blood spots

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
Yesterday I noticed blood spots in multiple eggs from same chicken. I know blood (and meat) spots are semi common but I’m wondering at what point should I be alarmed of them? If it continues for xx days? The amount of blood?

Is there link anywhere with what to be alarmed with or not? Thanks fellow chicken lovers!!

1761167F-BC6D-4737-B871-D996754FF6B8.jpeg

Hi there. :frow

It is not something to be alarmed about other than it being gross.

Some lines of birds do this more than others. It was a continual thing when I was breeding Marans and is the number ONE reason why I don't raise them anymore. They were fantastic birds! :(

As far as I know that is not actually just blood but rather some of the material that chunks off the reproductive tract. :sick None of the information I've researched indicates there is much that can be done about it with possible exception to feed quality, age of hen, or choosing white layers for decreased incidents.

https://qz.com/431136/heres-why-your-brown-eggs-have-more-blood-spots-than-white-ones/

https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook/29/meat-spots

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

From what I googled, this is nothing to be concerned about. It's fairly normal and the eggs are safe to eat. (If you don't like the red spots, you can remove them with a spoon.)

Some birds are prone to meat or blood spots - I have a Buff Orp that has spots in about 95% of her eggs. Since you recognize that you have a particular bird lays eggs that are troublesome, just don't sell or hand out the eggs to family/friends, and don't soft/hard boil them. They're fine for scrambles (you can pick out the spots if you want) or baking. It doesn't hurt to eat the spots, but they don't look "nice" so I do pick them out before cooking.

Looks like blood spots to me....not much you can do about it,
and nothing to be alarmed about.

Some birds are prone to meat or blood spots - I have a Buff Orp that has spots in about 95% of her eggs. Since you recognize that you have a particular bird lays eggs that are troublesome, just don't sell or hand out the eggs to family/friends, and don't soft/hard boil them. They're fine for scrambles (you can pick out the spots if you want) or baking. It doesn't hurt to eat the spots, but they don't look "nice" so I do pick them out before cooking.
Ditto Dat^^^
I have had a few hens that have blood spots consistently.
Luckily I only have a few customers and they understand it.

As far as I know that is not actually just blood but rather some of the material that chunks off the reproductive tract.
There are blood spots and meat spots, and they are different.
Blood spots are from a blood vessel breaking when the ova is released from the follicle.
Meat spots are pieces of tissue shedding from inside the reproductive tract.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Back
Top Bottom