1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Multiple eggs from one hen each day...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WyoChickenMamma, Jul 14, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    ...yes a man was telling my husband they he used to raise hens and had some that would lay 2-3 eggs each day. Is this possible and if so what breed is it? I think he was telling a "fishing" story...you know the kind, I caught a 2 pound fish, I mean a 4 pound fish...well actually the fish was more like 6-8 pounds....LOL.

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I think he was exaggerating, I don't think any breed of chickens lays that much. not even the production hens that are bred to lay efficiently

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Yeah, I don't think thats even possible. [​IMG]

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I don't think it's possible for any breed to lay that much, even the battery hens. (so sad [​IMG])
    Although some of my sex-links have occasionally been known to squeeze out more than one per 24 hours in the past [​IMG]

5. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Definitely a 'fishing' story! If there were hen like that don't you think the big corporations would have jumped on it!? I have once or twice had a hen that laid more than one egg in a day but it is really unusual.... and that happens with a lot of time between each incident.

6. redeye roy

redeye roy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    that guy was on the farm there sonny fle on the wind mill an he was sitting on the sack of seeds:weeelol

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Thats from a 70's song and now I'm going to be trying to remember what song all day.

8. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Quote:There's a guy at one of the local feed stores who makes similar claims about his birds. At one point someone did breed a super layer Leghorn hybrid that laid something like 371 eggs in one year - but that was an incredible feat and I don't think it has been matched.

On the other hand, if you see this guy again, tell him I have a bull for sale that gives 20 gallons a day with 10% butterfat.

9. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I was telling a friends daughter about our hen laying two eggs in the space of an hour on her first day of laying, and she said the 6 chickens at her school lay three eggs EACH, every day. I questioned her and said maybe they get three eggs per day from 6 chooks, but she is adamant that they get up to 18 eggs per day in total.

I really think she's telling porkies, but I don't know enough about these things to tell her she was wrong.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:My neighbors granddaughter swears they have an 80 year old hen. I think they're both telling porkies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by