Multiple eggs?

amcstay

Songster
11 Years
Sep 20, 2008
Austin, Texas
Can a hen (sex link), lay more than 1 egg in a day? I keep hearing the "I laid an egg" song from my hen at least 2 x a day. Once in the am after she lays and then once more in the pm when she is out foraging but I can't seem to find where she might have laid egg 2. Is she just a happy hen and is singing or might she have laid 2? She just started laying on Saturday.

Thanks.

According to Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens,, it takes a hen 22 hours to lay the next egg. In effect, they lay 2 hours later each day until the cycle repeats.

Kathy in Texas

One day I definitely had one hen lay two eggs. I've got three EEs and had four green eggs in the same nestbox - which had been totally empty when I was in the coop earlier that morning. It's never happened again, but it definitely happened once!

Well, huh. That would explain yesterday. I got 6 brown eggs, but I only have 4 brown egg layers. None of the brown egg layers laid today. It was freaky (and it really messes with my egg chart!).

I've had a hen sing the egg song without having laid an egg at that time.
roll.png

I say it is definately possible, especially with birds that are bred for production.

Ok, thanks so much. I was just curious because I really didn't want her to be laying in the bush. It definetly saves me from having to tromp through bush to try to find her 2nd egg if it is a remote possibility. I will keep an eye out just in case though.

As for the 22 hour thing, my hen laid her 1st egg after 11 on Sunday, and then yesterday before 9... waiting to see what she will do today. Maybe she is just wierd....

Back
Top Bottom