Multiple eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amcstay, Mar 23, 2009.

1. amcstay

amcstay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Can a hen (sex link), lay more than 1 egg in a day? I keep hearing the "I laid an egg" song from my hen at least 2 x a day. Once in the am after she lays and then once more in the pm when she is out foraging but I can't seem to find where she might have laid egg 2. Is she just a happy hen and is singing or might she have laid 2? She just started laying on Saturday.

Thanks.

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    According to Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens,, it takes a hen 22 hours to lay the next egg. In effect, they lay 2 hours later each day until the cycle repeats.

Kathy in Texas

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

One day I definitely had one hen lay two eggs. I've got three EEs and had four green eggs in the same nestbox - which had been totally empty when I was in the coop earlier that morning. It's never happened again, but it definitely happened once!

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well, huh. That would explain yesterday. I got 6 brown eggs, but I only have 4 brown egg layers. None of the brown egg layers laid today. It was freaky (and it really messes with my egg chart!).

5. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I've had a hen sing the egg song without having laid an egg at that time. [​IMG]

6. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    I say it is definately possible, especially with birds that are bred for production.

7. amcstay

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Ok, thanks so much. I was just curious because I really didn't want her to be laying in the bush. It definetly saves me from having to tromp through bush to try to find her 2nd egg if it is a remote possibility. I will keep an eye out just in case though.

As for the 22 hour thing, my hen laid her 1st egg after 11 on Sunday, and then yesterday before 9... waiting to see what she will do today. Maybe she is just wierd....

8. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    If it's a 22-hr cycle, it would be 2 hours earlier each day, right? 11am, then 9am, then 7 am....

9. amcstay

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    That exact goof up is why I don't do math...... although, she did not lay at 7 today so maybe she IS just off......[​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I had an eggbound hen that laid two in one day.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by