Multiple injured quail . . . antibiotics?

UPDATE:
I decided not to cull the bird with the injured wing yesterday because my family was having guests over. After the guests left it was late so I just patched him up and decided to see what he would look like in the morning. Well, the green color is gone completely and the wound no longer smells. He still acts alert so I think he will be fine if given some attention and time to heal. However, it is obvious that his wing is broken and at some point, the bone protruded from the skin. Would it be beneficial if I wrapped his wing in a resting position against his body? As it is now, his wing droops a little and rests in an awkward position.

UPDATE: The quail with the broken wing has now recovered and has been reintroduced into the flock for a few days. It doesn't look too bad either, one wing droops a little so the wings rest unevenly and still has almost full range of motion of the wing too. The injury where I believe the bone went through the skin scabbed over and healed completely. It's amazing how fast this one healed . . .

UPDATE: The quail with the broken wing has now recovered and has been reintroduced into the flock for a few days. It doesn't look too bad either, one wing droops a little so the wings rest unevenly and still has almost full range of motion of the wing too. The injury where I believe the bone went through the skin scabbed over and healed completely. It's amazing how fast this one healed . . .

That's good to hear :)

Good idea with adding cover. I do that here with pine tree branches. It makes them feel safer and definitely avoids a lot of the head boinking when they spook.

That's great news, it sounded and looked really bad from what you showed us.

It was a pretty bad injury, I think I was lucky to catch the injury pretty early on. Shown below is the remodeled aviary, haven't had any injuries since. The second picture has the previously injured quail in the lower right corner (with the blu-kote stained feathers). I had never thought that a predator doesn't even need to touch an animal to injure it . . .

Attachments

• IMG_7084.jpg
    IMG_7084.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7080.jpg
    IMG_7080.jpg
    946.4 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom