Multiple issues? - need wise counsel - too much!

All the broad spectrum dewormers are expensive but they last a while as you should only have to use it twice a year. I make Valbazen mash for our larger flock and mix it with applesauce (in the mash) which works pretty well..they will eat it.There's directions on here for how to calculate the dose to make a mash, or you can ask Cascartpony. (Kathy). For a mash, you have to calculate the entire weight of the flock, then figure the dose based on the entire weight. We deworm every five to six months. You can also make a mash with Safeguard. Neither Valbazen or Safeguard mix well with water. I like Levasol the best, because you CAN mix THAT with water, and they'll drink it. You have to get that on line, though. Firststatevetsupply.com is one source.

With any of these methods where you're dosing the whole flock, you're never sure if they're getting enough, of course, but we've found it works pretty well and our flock seems to stay healthy. For a sick bird, I've found the best way is that described above..dribble it into the side of the beak. Sometimes you have to tip their head up a bit, gently, so they'll swallow.

It's hard to overdose them on dewormer, there's a fairly broad margin for error there. If you're using Valbazen, I'd use it two days in a row, then repeat ten days later. And don't get discouraged. Once you get used to doing it, it gets easier.

@chicknmania
Thank you!! You’re awesome!
So if I should do it two days in a row, I think I’ll try the mash tomorrow!! It’s about the only time they all eat fairly equally.
It’s been so hot here that I started adding water to their layer feed, and they go nuts over it. So if I could mix something in their tray, they’d probably appreciate it more.

Thanks for the advice!!

You are so welcome, and best of luck! But do PM Castcartpony and ask her to help you figure the dose for the mash. She has done that for me and it's way beyond my math ability to figure out, lol. For this first time, if I were you I think I'd go ahead and individually dose the ones that are obviously sick, and you can give mash to the rest. But that's up to you, it might make things way complicated.

Thanks!!
I had my daughter helping. I can get the beak open without much trouble, and most of mine are fairly docile. (Except for the EEs..lol)
But I just couldn’t for the life of me see if I was putting it too close to the trachea.
I’ll try the little bit, like you said, and let them sip it down.

I’ve just been doing battle after battle lately, and I feel so defeated.

Lost my bestest dog to IVDD a couple months ago; another dog has lymphoma, the other dog is almost 16 and doesn’t have much longer.
And then my chickens, who never have any problems at all, started all this...
First lice and mites at the same time, now worms, a keel cyst, and a hen is now obsessively mounting another hen.
Just ugh. You know?
I can totally relate to you on this..nothing is going right here on my little farm I've created. I have a rooster "hopefully" healing from flystrike. Hes taking forever. I've just discovered what I expect to be bumblefoot on atleast 2 of my hens. A Turkey poult just hatched with a leg problem. A chicken randomly died a few days ago and I've just dusted everyone for mites. They also need dewormed. I have electric fence that needs put up for the cows and a friend needs me to babysit her two little boys since her babysitter quit. On top of my two little girls! My anxiety is thru the roof lol I feel like I just rambled but I needed to get that off my chest hahaha I wish you the best in battling your problems with your flock! You can do it

1.) I have one red with, I believe, a keel cyst.
2.) I have at least two girls that are suddenly too thin.
3). I have BRs that are pooping liquid, like water.
4.) I have recently battled lice and mites. And I mean battle! I used permethrin and thought I had it under control. Not sure now.
5.) I have EEs that are beginning to lose feathers on the face. Pecking? Lice?
The exception being, one leghorn who is starting to have some darkening at times toward the back of her comb. Had me wondering about heart or oxygen.
Anyway, I attempted to do the syringe orally, but I couldn’t tell for sure where exactly the trachea was vs where I needed to put medicine, so I looked online and found another option.
This lady suggested soaking a piece of bread with the dose and feeding it to them.
Please post some photos - poop, keel cyst(?), birds, etc.

Worming is a good idea. Since you have Valbazen - dosing is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.
Dose birds first thing in the morning when their crop is empty.
See this link about how to give medications orally - it's easy once you get the hang of it https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

Hopefully you have better luck with that. Look forward to your photos.

I can totally relate to you on this..nothing is going right here on my little farm I've created. I have a rooster "hopefully" healing from flystrike. Hes taking forever. I've just discovered what I expect to be bumblefoot on atleast 2 of my hens. A Turkey poult just hatched with a leg problem. A chicken randomly died a few days ago and I've just dusted everyone for mites. They also need dewormed. I have electric fence that needs put up for the cows and a friend needs me to babysit her two little boys since her babysitter quit. On top of my two little girls! My anxiety is thru the roof lol I feel like I just rambled but I needed to get that off my chest hahaha I wish you the best in battling your problems with your flock! You can do it

Oh my!!
Well, good luck to you too!!!
I guess we just all have to dive in with one thing at a time, right?

@Wyorp Rock
Thank you!
I actually read that article. I loved it.
So when I looked into the mouths of my girls, I can’t see what you can see in that pic. Maybe it’s much further down than I thought.

I tried to get a pic of some poo the other day, but, the thing is, it was literally so water-like that it just went on/in the ground and there was nothing to see in the pic.
At first I thought they were just drinking excessively due to heat. But with everything else going on too...

I’ll grab the one with the keel cyst today and get a good picture of her.
For now, here are some random pics of them and their run.

A07045F8-7C9F-4E59-AB85-056479768E1D.jpeg

8DF8D809-4451-4784-B8B2-9BCD16D8877D.jpeg

7FE68C6C-79C1-47AD-B077-E26F9BF634D8.jpeg

278981F7-9F44-41EC-8711-97ABB99A301C.jpeg

It is further down than probably where you looked.

I've found it fairly easy when dosing birds to have all my syringes ready (filled) when I go out there. Go out early while they are still on the roost. Take each bird in turn off the roost, put them under the arm like a football, grab the wattles with the hand of the arm they are under, pull down. Insert the syringe and give the medication, immediately let go of the wattles and let them swallow. If you have a fairly large dose say like over 1/2ml, then give a little at a time so they don't choke. Once the bird is dosed, put them on the ground and grab the next one.
Alternatively, set up a table and stand the bird on the table, put your arm over them and pull them to your body - you have that hand to control the head/grab the wattles.

If it seems like a lot to do in one morning - then you can "split up" your flock. Say...do all the Leghorns one morning, then the next grab the BR's, etc. just keep up with who and when so you get everyone and know when to retreat in 10 days.

No judgement here - in the photo, they have scratch(?) on the ground? Are they cleaning all that up? No food/scratch left over night where it may get moldy, rancid or attract critters?
I try to only give a little to help keep unwanted critters away - leftover seeds, etc. - mice and rats like that. I've trapped some myself, so now I limit how much I scatter and I take up feed containers at night and bring them in. So far, I haven't caught any more rodents since I started doing this.

Here is how I de-worm with Flubenole 5% powder:

I weigh the food according to the amount of chickens ~110 grams per bird, bantams ~ 90 grams.
  • add some cornoil and mix thoroughly
  • weigh the appropriate amount of /Flubenole 5%/Flubendazole = 1,2 grams per 1 kg feed
  • add to the already oiled mix and mix very soundly

And then only feed them this mix for seven consecutive days and you're done. No chicken will have too much or too little as they will all have the same food.

No stress whatsoever.

Here is how I de-worm with Flubenole 5% powder:

I weigh the food according to the amount of chickens ~110 grams per bird, bantams ~ 90 grams.
  • add some cornoil and mix thoroughly
  • weigh the appropriate amount of /Flubenole 5%/Flubendazole = 1,2 grams per 1 kg feed
  • add to the already oiled mix and mix very soundly

And then only feed them this mix for seven consecutive days and you're done. No chicken will have too much or too little as they will all have the same food.

No stress whatsoever.
Good tips for giving Flubendazole! It's hard to find in the US unless you order it from someplace. It's more readily available in Europe/UK.

The OP has Valbazen (Albendazole) which is dosed by weight.

Back
Top Bottom