Multiple limping chickens

SarahMoore

Hatching
6 Years
May 3, 2013
Hello. I have a chicken problem and could use some wisdom. About a month ago, our rooster started limping badly. We could not find any obvious injury and he was otherwise acting normal. He would be out with the hens free-ranging during the day and doing his job as usual, just with a limp. He's even run if he needed to, he just used his wings to balance. He's almost back to normal now. Then about 1-2 weeks ago we noticed a hen limping badly. Again, no obvious injury and still getting out and about during the day as usual. She is slowly getting better now. Today, ANOTHER hen is limping! This one is maybe 2 years old and was actually laying down in the yard today because she didn't want to walk. I am totally stumped! I was reading about Marek's disease but the limping is the only symptom they have. I'm stumped! Any ideas?

Marek's disease is the first possibility I can think of.
What you give them to eat? Do you give them food with high protein percentage?
An excess of protein can cause Goat, an accumulation of Uric acid crystals(=byproduct of protein metabolism) in the joints of the chickens, that can negatively impact their movement ability.

How high are your roosts? Have you checked their footpads for symptoms of bumblefoot? Are their foot or leg joints swollen? Mareks is usually characterized by weakness or paralysis of one or both wings, legs, or the neck. There can be a decreased immunity to other common illnesses. Akrnaf2 meant gout, instead of goat, just a typo, I'm sure.

How high are your roosts? Have you checked their footpads for symptoms of bumblefoot? Are their foot or leg joints swollen? Mareks is usually characterized by weakness or paralysis of one or both wings, legs, or the neck. There can be a decreased immunity to other common illnesses. Akrnaf2 meant gout, instead of goat, just a typo, I'm sure.

Ups!
This English words spelling can drive me crazy!
Let me correct myself: if you eat too much goat meet you will probably suffer from Gout!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom