Multiple Mended Eggs

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
My Serama hen, Marionette, has laid several eggs that her body mends after the initial shell is damaged before its laid. While I'm grateful her body is taking care of things, is there anything I can do to help her other than having oyster shell and crushed egg shell available for her? She is incredibly picky and prefers only the teeniest tiniest of pieces of everything. Crushed egg shells generally work best for her but I leave both options of various sizes. Maybe that's the problem? She's not eating pieces large enough to stay in her body long enough to be beneficial? I've got calcium citrate on hand but I worry about giving her that with her being so small. She is a fiesty little thing (aka can be a little mean) but she's still very special
20210606_215724.jpg

The mending goes all the way around the egg
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

She eats Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles and Kalmbach Flock Maker Crumbles, whichever is available and most fresh. She also has Nutrena All Flock pellets as an option at times. She's in a flock with 2 Dutch Bantam hens and a Silkie hen.
Thank you for your time

This little gal is, as we used to say back, waaaaaay back when I was a kid, "crusin' for a bruisin'". It's a matter of time and she will have an egg break inside her, I fear.

Here's an idea. Buy some layer ration and feed that out instead of the Flock Raiser for now if I understand correctly that you only have layers and not a mixed flock.

I would give her half a citrate tablet each day until you see the shell coming out unblemished. When you start to see calcium pimples on the shell, stop the citrate at that point.

A few days of the citrate won't tax her kidneys as she won't be on it long enough. This may correct her shell gland problem. If it doesn't, we'll need to figure out something else.

If the flock doesn't take to the layer feed, mix it with the Flock Raiser.

This little gal is, as we used to say back, waaaaaay back when I was a kid, "crusin' for a bruisin'". It's a matter of time and she will have an egg break inside her, I fear.

Here's an idea. Buy some layer ration and feed that out instead of the Flock Raiser for now if I understand correctly that you only have layers and not a mixed flock.

I would give her half a citrate tablet each day until you see the shell coming out unblemished. When you start to see calcium pimples on the shell, stop the citrate at that point.

A few days of the citrate won't tax her kidneys as she won't be on it long enough. This may correct her shell gland problem. If it doesn't, we'll need to figure out something else.

If the flock doesn't take to the layer feed, mix it with the Flock Raiser.
:goodpost: Good info!

Thank you so much! As soon I finish up with work, I'll find some layer Crumbles and get her started on a half Calcium Citrate tablet daily until she's has some deposits and no mending. I'll be sure to take the other feed out so they eat the layer feed, at least for the biggest part of the day while they're in the coop and run. Thanks again so much! I appreciate you both more than you know ❤️

I was very surprised that I was able to fit the 1/2 Calcium Citrate tablet in her beak/down her throat, but it just barely fit. I quickly followed up with offering her a raisin and she snatched it up! I think this helped in her cooperation. She could see the box 😂 I gave it to her last night, so maybe we'll see a difference whenever she lays her next egg. She goes through spells of broody behavior often but is easily broken from sitting. The broody behavior usually remains and this is when she's mean. Then again I've always heard that Serama's can be little spit fires. Thankfully she's so small and I mostly have to worry about her hurting herself or getting hurt while going after feet. Although my daughter only likes to wear flip flops which can be interesting.
I was unable to get layer feed yesterday. The stores nearby only had layer feed 5.5 months old and older. That seems quite old in my opinion. Hopefully I'll finish up with work earlier and get to the actual feed store.

If I ever come across another internally mended egg from another bird, is this something that should be treated for with the first egg or is the problem whenever it's multiple eggs?

Marionette laid a beautiful little egg today. It seems to have a nice shell but no calcium deposits yet, so I'll continue the 1/2 tablet of Calcium Citrate daily. Hopefully the calcium boost and switch to layer feed will resolve her issue. I'm so grateful that the break happened in her system where she was able to repair it before it was laid and it brought her deficiency to my attention. Thank you both as always, for everything! Both of you are such amazing people

Marionette laid a nice egg again today. There is one small (half the size of a pencil eraser) calcium deposit and then two teeny tiny specs. Should I administer the Calcium Citrate tonight or stop now? I usually get her up and give it to her at my last check for the night before bed.
20210609_212723.jpg

I thought I'd share a picture of the patient ❤️ She's actually been really sweet the past couple of days.

Side note: I believe she's a bit large for a Serama. She's 1lb 5ozs. I'm being careful with treats as I feel almost certain that I recently lost a SLW hen to fatty liver disease. Marionette is very picky about what she eats, but she goes absolutely crazy for raisins. I was finally able to get to one of the feed stores today. Since I needed FR Crumbles for some ducklings, I ended up going to TSC, so my choices were limited to Puring and Nutrena. ~Of course they carry Dumor but I've heard more negative about this brand than any other. I will admit that I haven't tried it so I don't know personally.~ Marionette will only eat the tiniest of tiny Crumbles, so that narrowed the options. Although now I feel like I could have ran pellets through the baby bullet but of course I didn't think of that while I was at the store 😂 I ended up with Nutrena NatureWise Layer Feed that was milled in May. This will be the first time any of my hens have been on lower protein but I suspect this can be a good thing. Only time and closely watching will tell.
20210609_213738.jpg

There is one small (half the size of a pencil eraser) calcium deposit and then two teeny tiny specs. Should I administer the Calcium Citrate tonight or stop now?
I would go by Carol's instructions.

Back
Top Bottom