Multiple Mended Eggs

I'm continuing to keep an eye on Marionette's eggs. Not to beat a dead horse, but this egg from yesterday seems to be a little odd. I feel like I'm possibly looking for a problem instead of simply checking shell quality 😳 . Today's egg was perfect.
Is a body check what causes the shell to crack sometimes and the body realizes what happened and then mends it before moving along?
I'll keep a close eye on her eggs and try to just enjoy her more. Thanks again for everything!
20210725_011955.jpg

Is a body check what causes the shell to crack sometimes and the body realizes what happened and then mends it before moving along?
'Body check' happens during the ~20 hours it takes to shell an egg.
Partially shelled egg cracks then the continued calcification 'mends' it.
Why it breaks is uncertain.

Marionette must have a seriously compromised shell gland or something. She laid one questionable egg a week ago, but I wasn't 100% sure if I was seeing repaired shell crackling or not, so I decided to just let her be. I noticed her acting a bit off Wednesday night. Her tail wasn't straight up like her normal very obvious Serama tail. I remembered that she hadn't laid an egg in the past 2 days and with her history, I figured it'd be a wise choice to administer 1/2 calcium citrate tablet. I noticed she laid an egg Thursday and my daughter collected it. She quickly apologized for denting the egg and gave it to me. I noticed the egg was soft shelled 🙁 She eats layer feed 100% of the time and only gets a few meal worms once or twice a week, but she's at the bottom of the pecking order so she doesn't get much at all and two to three isn't an exaggeration. One other clue we noticed Wednesday night was she was eating any egg shell she walked by while free ranging, in spite of having egg shell and oyster shell in her coop. It's crazy that such a tiny bird needs so much calcium. If she didn't go broody often, I'd blame it on her calcium reserves/storage (not sure about correct wording there), but I just don't know. Of course that's just the case with some birds and I'm guessing there aren't any definitive factors that proves why one bird needs so much calcium and another bird doesn't. I've felt like all of my hens have done really well on Kalmbach layer feed and the feed is always fresh, so I don't know what else to consider, other than it just being an individual bird thing. Like usual, I apologize for rambling on and on. Y'all know how bad I am at that, so I appreciate your time, especially knowing that I take up too much. Y'all are the best and I am so thankful and grateful for all of you 💕

I am continuing the 1/2 tab calcium citrate daily until I find calcium bumps. I need to keep a journal about this like I do with my other hen to just find out if there is any pattern. Since I have 2 hens like this, maybe I should have my water tested or something. I guess 2 out of all of them isn't too bad. It's just frustrating whenever they are like pets. Thanks again ❤️

Marionette must have a seriously compromised shell gland or something. She laid one questionable egg a week ago, but I wasn't 100% sure if I was seeing repaired shell crackling or not, so I decided to just let her be. I noticed her acting a bit off Wednesday night. Her tail wasn't straight up like her normal very obvious Serama tail. I remembered that she hadn't laid an egg in the past 2 days and with her history, I figured it'd be a wise choice to administer 1/2 calcium citrate tablet. I noticed she laid an egg Thursday and my daughter collected it. She quickly apologized for denting the egg and gave it to me. I noticed the egg was soft shelled 🙁 She eats layer feed 100% of the time and only gets a few meal worms once or twice a week, but she's at the bottom of the pecking order so she doesn't get much at all and two to three isn't an exaggeration. One other clue we noticed Wednesday night was she was eating any egg shell she walked by while free ranging, in spite of having egg shell and oyster shell in her coop. It's crazy that such a tiny bird needs so much calcium. If she didn't go broody often, I'd blame it on her calcium reserves/storage (not sure about correct wording there), but I just don't know. Of course that's just the case with some birds and I'm guessing there aren't any definitive factors that proves why one bird needs so much calcium and another bird doesn't. I've felt like all of my hens have done really well on Kalmbach layer feed and the feed is always fresh, so I don't know what else to consider, other than it just being an individual bird thing. Like usual, I apologize for rambling on and on. Y'all know how bad I am at that, so I appreciate your time, especially knowing that I take up too much. Y'all are the best and I am so thankful and grateful for all of you 💕

I am continuing the 1/2 tab calcium citrate daily until I find calcium bumps. I need to keep a journal about this like I do with my other hen to just find out if there is any pattern. Since I have 2 hens like this, maybe I should have my water tested or something. I guess 2 out of all of them isn't too bad. It's just frustrating whenever they are like pets. Thanks again ❤️
Hi, I know this thread is a bit old..but are you using calcium citrate 400 mg with d3? I have a bantam who just had a soft shelled egg like your little girl and I'm trying to get the correct dose for her.

Hi, I know this thread is a bit old..but are you using calcium citrate 400 mg with d3? I have a bantam who just had a soft shelled egg like your little girl and I'm trying to get the correct dose for her.
The Calcium Citrate + D3 Max tablet is 630mg of calcium. Marionette gets a half tablet, so she's getting 315mg each time she needs to take it. I'm so sorry for the delay in responding. I'm not sure how I missed it

The Calcium Citrate + D3 Max tablet is 630mg of calcium. Marionette gets a half tablet, so she's getting 315mg each time she needs to take it. I'm so sorry for the delay in responding. I'm not sure how I missed it
Not your fault, its an old thread! Thanks for getting back with me, my little girl seems to be doing better now. She is molting...how is Marionette?

Not your fault, its an old thread! Thanks for getting back with me, my little girl seems to be doing better now. She is molting...how is Marionette?
I am so happy your little hen is doing better 💜 Marionette is doing well. She's laid one egg recently that was mended internally. That was around day #240, give or take. I can't remember the exact day, but today is #262. Thank you so much for asking about her 💕

I am so happy your little hen is doing better 💜 Marionette is doing well. She's laid one egg recently that was mended internally. That was around day #240, give or take. I can't remember the exact day, but today is #262. Thank you so much for asking about her 💕
Thats great! I hate when they get sick..I really appreciate when people like you document how they take care of and treat their birds..that way maybe someone else can read and hopefully know what to do for their birds in an emergency...I've learned a lot that way. Best wishes for you and your flock!

Back
Top Bottom