Multiple partially lame 3 month old chicks, 1 is completely lame

k9advocate

Hatching
7 Years
May 19, 2012
Chicks I got from a guy who was moving had black callouses on underside of feet. Two chicks in particular didn't seem to like walking so I thought maybe bumblefoot (i'm still new at chickens...). All chicks eating and drinking fine, just seem to lay around more than other chicks I'v had.

Well, the worst one, who we named Claudia, seemed to be getting better and walking more but all of a sudden she can no longer stand and falls backward when she tries (she used to sit on her side). If it wasn't so tragic it would be funny. Poor thing can't put any weight on her legs and her toes seem to curl UP when she tries. The black callouses have disappeared since she has been on grass and clean bedding. She seems healthy just lame. I am baffled...

I took Claudia, the totally lame chick, to the vet and she noticed some swelling in her hocks, especially the right side, so she splinted and bandaged her legs and said because she was still growing she might have a shot. I have been caring for Claudia round the clock since then and she has made very little efforts to walk. I keep her in a basket in a towel which I have twisted into a kind of donut. She puts her feet in the middle. This is supposed to "train" her legs to be straight again since she has been sitting back on her elbows for some time. But the splints/bandages are uneven and this I think is hindering her progress.

Back
Top Bottom