Multiple Questions,lol

kidsnchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
At this time we have 2 Roosters 10 hens and 2 ducks, we think a drake and a hen. I know 2 roosters is to many, but what is a good ratio? We will probably be takeing the aggressive roo to a friend and I thought about getting a few more hens from him if we can if that helps even it up better. How do you introduce new hens into the flock? Also our crew has a run but of coarse they gobbled all the greenery down to nothing,lol. They do gets snacks and greenery every day, its nice to have some use for all the weeds! Would it be better to cover the run with sand or let it be?

Thank you!

I think 10 hens for 1 rooster is plenty, but it also depends on the breed. Are your chickens bantams, large, have leg feathers, etc? I know that some breeds are less fertile with large numbers like 10 while some breeds can accommodate more.

One rooster for 8-10 hens. If you get new chickens, keep them in quarantine for 30 days away from the others to prevent disease/parasite cross contamination. This will give you time to inspect and monitor the newbies for any problems and treat them accordingly (bio security.) You can put them within eyesight of each other after the 30 day period is up and there's no problems. Then after a period of time that you feel they are acclimated with each other, you can put them together. As far as putting greens in your pen...I use clothesline to hang a chilled half head of cabbage in the pen just above their head level, they love it and it also prevents boredom resulting in picking/pecking at each other. It's up to you whether you want to put sand in the pen or leave it as it is. Sand drains better when it rains. Our soil here is mostly sand and drains quickly during thunderstorms.

Thank you, both roosters were accidents, lol. We have RIR, Buff Orpingtons and Black Austerlorps. 1 Rooster is a Buff and the other is a Mix, my daughter choose him from a hatch we did at school for the kindergarten class, her Roo is the aggressive one but she is ok with him going to live at our friends. He has some EEs and I would love to have a couple of them, the kids are really wanting to have the green eggs!

The run actually drains pretty good but I thought maybe I could have a section with sand and see if it make a difference?

I had a BO roo w/ 10 hens. He was really over using the girls. I got rid of him because of his aggressive behavior. The girls have been wonderful since then... I would think adding more hens would be fine. Do take caution when you get them--as stated above.. Be sure they have a safe, secure, place with lots of room during their 30 days of quarantine. And that you have plenty of time to introduce them after the 30days.

Ten to one is a good ratio. More hens would be fun especially if you got some green or blue egg layers. Understand that not all EE lay blue or green eggs.

10 to 1 - I have 21 hens & 2 roosters, but you can probably get by with 15 or 16. The younger / less dominant roo will get chased a bit & will sneak up on unsuspecting hens, but they won't kill each other or anything.

As far as introducing - if you don't have 2 runs - just sneak the new hens in after dark when everyone is asleep. Like I always say - chickens can't count. If they wake up with more than they went to bed with they assume they have always been there.

They will still need to figure out the pecking order but unless they are polish you shouldn't have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom