Multiple Roosters in a Flock

Alex998

Chirping
Sep 8, 2021
I have somewhat of a problem. I am currently raising 4 chicks, and I suspect that 2 of them are roosters. However, I already have a rooster in my 14 bird flock, and I don’t know if the roosters will hurt each other or the hens when I introduce the 2 roosters to the flock. With these chicks added, I would have 15 hens and 3 roosters. Does anyone have any suggestions to this problem?

Chicken keeping books from long ago say a couple/few roosters with a reasonable number of hens will spend too much time competing with each other. But dozens of roosters with hundreds of hens all together don't. It didn't say under what conditions (how much space), though.

Fifteen hens is might not be enough for three roosters either way. If you split them, maybe do a bachelor pen for the two extra boys vs giving each a few hens.

I am testing this out as we speak. I have 14 hens and 3 roos. One of the roos is a bantam and the other two are Ameraucana siblings…so far everyone is behaving well enough but they are just coming into POL and the boys are entering the testosterone surge age of 7 months. So I am watching them and their dynamics to see if things are going to be an issue or not. I really think it depends on the personality of your roosters whether they will ultimately get along or fight. They’re all really good boys so it would suck to have to rehome one or two :-(

I have a flock of (currently) 20, of which 3 are mature roos and 3 are cockerels, just reaching maturity, raised within the flock, which free ranges dawn till dusk. There is no fighting; the 14 hens and pullets do more chest bumping than the boys. The dominant roo chases the ex-dom (his dad) periodically to demonstrate to all who's boss, and the youngsters have understood the lesson and are keeping quiet. The dom and all the cockerels and all but one of the hens hang together, the ex dom is accompanied by one pullet, and the other cock sometimes hangs with one and sometimes with the other. I think the key to this harmonious situation is that all the boys were raised within the flock, and they can run away from any trouble.

It could work out fine, I've had more than one rooster in a flock (siblings) and they were fine with each other. I rehomed one of them in the end though as I didn't have enough hens (especially with some going broody) and the amount of crowing with the two of them being the same age was a bit much. I now have one fully mature rooster and one cockeral hatched 4 months ago. So far he is keeping his head down and keeping his crowing on the down low. He will end up as somebody's dinner eventually though as I only have the space for 1 rooster.
I currently only have 5 mature hens with my rooster and this number is fine for him. I doubt he could manage many more. When I see the posts saying minimum 10 hens per rooster... well not my rooster haha.

... I think the key to this harmonious situation is that all the boys were raised within the flock, and they can run away from any trouble.
Agree. My impression is that sibling cockerels are better at getting along than strangers. They probably started play fighting at an early age and may have settled their relationship early on. I've had siblings fight to the death too but most times the subordinate just lives on the sidelines or runs away from home to live elsewhere.

From an evolutionary standpoint, having a full sibling sire all the chicks is almost as good at passing on your genes by yourself.

Back
Top Bottom