Multiple roosters

elkbbucks

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
I am new to raising chickens. I have four rooster, one 4 year old and three one year olds. the problem that i am having is all four roosters keep breeding the same hen and my egg count has gone from 12-14 down to 4-6 a day. do you have any suggestions for me

Yes I do - get rid of all but one roo. The ratio is 12-15 chickens per roo. That poor hen is getting sc$%^ed to death right now. Are you SERIOUS that ONE HEN was laying 12-14 eggs A DAY??? I know I am not the only one that is glabberghasted by this. Or am I misunderstanding? Something isn't communcating here.
lau.gif

Save the hen
wink.png
WOW that poor thing! I would separate some of the roos for now. She must be a slow hen and the roos can all catch her easier than the rest of the hens.

And about the egg count...it's not going down because the roos are all mating the same hen because hens don't need roos to lay eggs but prob because of the weather and less light. Some hens don't lay well in the winter at all.

You have three too many roosters. Poor hens! You have four hens and four roosters? I'm sure you must mean 12-14 eggs a week, not a day, right? They only lay one a day and not always every day.

Last edited:
The egg count reduction may have nothing to do with your roosters, but they certainly aren't helping either and will wear your hens down. I agree with everyone else in reducing your rooster count. Egg laying does reduce this time of year due to decreased length of daylight hours.

Jody

It's alright to like roosters, but unless you are planning on baby chicks or flock protection, you really don't need any to get eggs. The four year old may be a little tough, but you might be able to process the other three if you want to save $$ on meat. Just another point of view that could be considered.

I have roughly fourty to fifty hens. What i am trying to say is that multiple hens are getting breed but the other roos keep trying to breed that hen after the other roo already has. And no i use to get 12-14 eggs a day. Would it be alright to leave two roos in there or not. I already planned on taking atleast one roo out and to put it on the table.:

I think 2 roos for that many hens would be fine. And it must be something hardwired in their brain that they breed the same hen. For each animal is out to preserve HIS seed and propagate his offspring. It is known that the last roo on the hen is usually the father to the chicks hatched. So, the roos must instinctually know this also.

THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT...ALSO WHAT SIZE HEN HOUSE SHOULD I BUILD AND SHOULD I BUILD THE ROOS A SEPERATE ONE..ALSO SHOULD I SEPERATE INTO TWO FLOCKS..

Back
Top Bottom