Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
My EEs are 22 weeks old. At least one started laying 2 weeks ago. She laid a few normal but small eggs. Then about a week and a half ago, she dropped a shell less egg right in front of us on the poop board at 9 pm! Since then, I have been getting a minimum of 2 shell less eggs a week. This week we are up to 4. There were 2 yesterday morning and then 2 again this morning. They are fed grower feed and have free choice oyster shells and toasted egg shells. I'm debating about switching to layer feed but I have a young cockerel and pullet who are 14 weeks old and live with the older birds. My one RIR abd 2 golden comets aren't having any shell issues.
Side note: i have noticed some sneezing and head shaking making me think there might be something respiratory going on. Should I treat with antibiotics even though there has been nothing more serious? I'm not sure if the shell less eggs are related.

I'm not a vet but when my ladies stared laying this seemed to happen a lot for the new layers. I ended up switching them to layer feed at that point. I also ended up giving them calcium pills. I would break it into quarters and wrap the pill in bread. I'm almost positive the pills I have are 600mg.

I'm not a vet but when my ladies stared laying this seemed to happen a lot for the new layers. I ended up switching them to layer feed at that point. I also ended up giving them calcium pills. I would break it into quarters and wrap the pill in bread. I'm almost positive the pills I have are 600mg.
I might try giving them extra calcium. I have powdered calcium that I can mix into a mash. I'll just have to keep my younger 2 out of it.

Back
Top Bottom