Multiple sudden deaths in young chickens

JenniferKrull

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2019
I’ve been keeping pet chickens for almost three years. Last spring and early summer, I lost 3 hens within about as many months. (A fourth died, but circumstances were different). All were laying hens no more than two years old. All were very sudden. No signs of illness, and suddenly found them dead. No signs of injury. No lice/mites. I’ve even sent in two to UC Davis for necropsy, and they came back as showing no noticeable injury or disease. One had a fungus and impacted crop, and signs of being malnourished, but they couldn’t tell me what caused it.

My last three hens have been doing very well, so I got new chicks in November. Healthy feathers, staring to lay, and today I found one dead. I’m at a loss as to what could be causing it!

I give them unlimited layer feed. I have containers of oyster shells and grit for them. Each day, I scatter a bit of scratch or freeze dried meal worms. They have water out of a drip setup.

They have a large, beautiful coop that they go onto at night that is very hardy against predators. In the daytime they are in a fenced run that is several hundred square feet. (All dirt, now.)

Has anyone else experienced this sudden death? Any ideas what might be causing it?

What size is your coop? How many birds all together do you have? How much roosting space does each have? I have seen posted about dates on feed also.

Could one of the other be bullying them? Just a thought? Others may have other idea.

What size is your coop? How many birds all together do you have? How much roosting space does each have? I have seen posted about dates on feed also.

Could one of the other be bullying them? Just a thought? Others may have other idea.
The main coop that has an indoor and outdoor portion is just under 50 square feet. I've attached a photo from the plans here. The actual interior roosting area is about 15 square feet with a couple tiered roosting planks along with three nesting boxes. (Some hens choose to roost in the 'outdoor' coop area that is still completely predator proof. We live in San Jose, CA, so the nights are relatively mild. During the day they have a much bigger run that's attached to this coop. I have 8 chickens. (One is a rooster who is new... a chick that was sexed incorrectly.) I've observed a pecking order, but no real brutality. One hen makes it clear to the others that she gets first dib at food, but she doesn't constantly harass them.
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 8.51.06 AM.png

I had one a year old drop dead today. I only had four. Free range on a fenced in acre. Plenty of feed, water, grit and calcium and water. Seemed perfectly healthy all week. Only changed behavior is she stopped laying for a week and stopped her submissive squat and letting me catch her easy. No clue

Back
Top Bottom