Murphy's Laws of Chicken Keeping -- let's make a list!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunny Side Up, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    According to Wikipedia, Murphy's law is an adage or epigram that is typically stated as: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

Ol' Murphy must have kept chickens. [​IMG]

Let's make a list here of all the variations of Murphy's Law you've learned while keeping chickens. Some will just help you keep a more philosophical perspective when things go wrong, others may help you learn in time to avoid other's mistakes. Like one of the first Murphy's Law Of Chicken Keeping I learned:

If it's possible for a chicken to get hurt on something it will. I've kept this in mind whenever building a coop or even leaving materials around the pens, and I bet it's saved my birds a lot of problems. I try to make things extra-safe, with few producing or sharp edges, and take the time to clean up well and put away leftover materials.

Here's Murphy's Law of Chicken Depredation: It's always your favorite bird/s that get taken. Doesn't that usually seem to be the case? Or at least often enough so that when it's NOT your favorite you are just a little bit relieved.

And how about Murphy's Law for Pullets to Begin Laying: The further you drive and the more money you spend on store-bought eggs the more likely you'll find that your pullets have finally begun to lay. If the cartons have the words "cage-free" or "organic" printed on them it increases the chances the pullets will have laid their first eggs in your driveway for you to run over as you return home.

Got any more of your own? List them here!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A hen won't go broody until a. you buy an incubator and order very expensive fertile eggs for hatching b. place a large order for chicks or c. both a and b.

3. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Murphy's Law for Incubating Eggs As soon as you give in and buy an incubator and turner, all your laying hens will go broody...usually at the same time!

ETA: Heh, heh, Gritsar! Great minds think alike!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

As soon as you think you have enough hens laying fertile eggs to offer to others, rest assured those hens will decrease the amount of eggs they are/were providing...

5. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    The sick chicken that you have cared for in the house for a month, who seems like they might rally, will die the day after you take them to the vet and spend hundreds of dollars. [​IMG]

(last week this would have made me cry. today, I can almost laugh about it.) [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  6. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    out of 4 eggs you put in the bator/broody hen, 3 will be cockerels when you are hoping for pullets.

7. jus1jack

jus1jack Critically Endangered

Mar 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Your one favorite little chick out of the bunch, it's a roo... [​IMG]

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    when you have your nice clothes on and run quickly to the coop to close them before you go out for the night... you will get poop on you somewhere

9. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    heh,

when standing under the roosting chickens, watch out for the falling poop! it always lands on your head first!

10. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    if your trying to hatch important eggs in the incubator you will have a bad hatch,
    if a hen is setting on a bunch of barnyard mixed eggs they all survive

WHY??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by