Murray McMurray hatchery???????

Holy cow, that explains it, definitely a USPS mess up though, not really the hatcheries fault. 5 days nothing is going to survive no matter who ships it, that sucks.

I just got my chicks today, I ordered 24 chicks + my free exotic chick... they shipped them on a Friday, arrived at the post office on Sunday where they sat without a light until the post office allowed me to pick them up at 6am this morning. 3 of them were DOA and I have lost 4 more of them in the last six hours for a total of seven. I ordered two Mille Fleurs and they were both DOA... by far the worst amount of losses from them for me and I had been an avid customer of them for years. I'll be looking to use someone else next time.

I was told to wait until Wednesday to record the total number of losses for their 48 hour live chick guarantee. I've never had this many losses so I've never bothered with a loss report before. I'll report back with my customer service experience for this in the coming days.

I just got my chicks today, I ordered 24 chicks + my free exotic chick... they shipped them on a Friday, arrived at the post office on Sunday where they sat without a light until the post office allowed me to pick them up at 6am this morning. 3 of them were DOA and I have lost 4 more of them in the last six hours for a total of seven. I ordered two Mille Fleurs and they were both DOA... by far the worst amount of losses from them for me and I had been an avid customer of them for years. I'll be looking to use someone else next time.

I was told to wait until Wednesday to record the total number of losses for their 48 hour live chick guarantee. I've never had this many losses so I've never bothered with a loss report before. I'll report back with my customer service experience for this in the coming days.

This hatchery shouldnt be shipping on fridays or saturdays. Thats why I ordered from meyer at least they shipped them on a monday.

Holy cow, that explains it, definitely a USPS mess up though, not really the hatcheries fault.  5 days nothing is going to survive no matter who ships it, that sucks.  

My chicks never got to the post office some guy from an hour away brought them to my house....on the back of his pick up truck.

Thats true, we ship on Monday or Tuesday, every once in a while on a Wednesday but thats as late in the week as we will ship.

I've ordered maybe 150 chicks from MM. I've only lost 1. I've never had any arrive dead. The one I lost died the day after I received them. I think it has a lot to do with my post office. The last batch arrived at the post office at 5AM, I think on a Friday. It was sleeting and icy. The post office called me at 6AM and told me to knock when I arrived and they would unlock the door for me and give me the chicks.

I'm convinced that handling by the carrier is the major cause of dead chicks, not the hatchery.

I've ordered maybe 150 chicks from MM.  I've only lost 1.  I've never had any arrive dead.  The one I lost died the day after I received them.  I think it has a lot to do with my post office.  The last batch arrived at the post office at 5AM, I think on a Friday.  It was sleeting and icy.  The post office called me at 6AM and told me to knock when I arrived and they would unlock the door for me and give me the chicks.

I'm convinced that handling by the carrier is the major cause of dead chicks, not the hatchery.

Good hatcheries wouldnt be shipping chicks on a weekend.

Like I said, I've lost 1 out of 150. That seems like a "good" hatchery to me. There are always going to be mistakes made, but overall, MM hatchery has been excellent as far as I'm concerned.

Ok, so I lost 13 total chicks within my 48 hour window. I called this morning and the woman was very polite and had my chicks replaced, they will be shipped out next week. I asked about shipping them out on a weekday and she said they regularly use Saturdays because that is the only day with enough connecting flights and cargo space. She said I can expect my chicks anywhere from Sun - Tues... hopefully not Sunday... but honestly I'd just rather have my (live) chicks than a refund.

My original order consisted of 3 standard BLR Wyandottes (all are still alive), 2 Porcelains (alive), 2 Mille Fleurs (2 DOA), 15 assorted Cochin bantams (9 died), 1 extra blue cochin (1 died), and 1 extra partridge cochin (1 died). I lost both my blue cochins from the assortment, and I had 5 partridges that I lost - I ordered extra of these because they are my favorite colors and I wanted to make sure I got them. She is replacing the partridge and the blue, and the rest will be an assortment. My original assortment was excellent - I had no whites, no buffs, and no reds, which are colors I don't particularly care for, and I got several mottled, blue, partridge, golden laced (most of them died, I have 1 left), black, and barred. My free rare chick is still alive - a clean legged banty, I hope is a black Japanese bantam. She is also throwing in another free rare chick for body heat, for a total of 14.

I am in north Idaho and McMurray is the closest to me out of the "big" hatcheries. I checked Cackle, My Pet Chicken, and Ideal, and they are all farther away than McMurray - MM is about 24 hours away (driving distance). I lived in south central Alaska before this though and orders from MM came in fine. If they try to come in on a Sunday again I'm going to be contacting the post office AND the USPS on Saturday to try to intercept them.

Back
Top Bottom