Murray McMurray

I ordered several years ago. One was dead in the box, and I lost another a week or so later to crossed beak. They were very friendly and helpful. We have another order due to ship in less than two weeks.
smile.png

We received our chicks on Sunday afternoon. They were shipped Saturday and arrive at our Post Office on Sunday early a.m. They are all very healthy and doing great. Staff at MM was so helpful and patient on the phone. We ordered 25 plus the bonus exotic, but received total of 27. They told me that they include 1 extra of some type that you ordered in addition to the exotic, and this will be indicated on your order form. They also marked the 2 phoenix chicks with red wax so I could identify them. And.... my daughter decided she really wanted some white eggs and I called and they actually put in the breeds that lay white eggs one by one to see if there were any still available. Just the phoenix were available so we added 2 of those and got less of something else. So far I would highly recommend them.

I originally ordered McMurray chicks last January for March delivery. Due to a family situation, I had to either postpone shipment until June or cancel the order. When I called McMurray, their staff was very friendly and helpful. We discussed the availability dates of all the breeds I wanted and the pros and cons of postponement versus cancellation of the shipment. I rescheduled for June shipment.

Some of the other hatcheries I looked at charge you when you order. I like that McMurray does not charge your credit card until the birds are shipped.

My chicks were hatched on Saturday, June 24th and arrived at the main post office hub on Sunday, June 25th. An employee at the main post office hub called us and we were able to get the birds on Sunday.

If no one had been at the main post office hub, the birds would have been delivered to my local post office on Monday. I'm glad our chicks didn't have to sit around the post office that extra day. McMurray will put your phone number on the outside of the box, so the post office should call you.

We ordered 25 specific standard heritage breed pullets and declined the free exotic. McMurray shipped us 26 birds. We got 2 White Plymouth Rocks and had only ordered 1. Our Silver Grey Dorking pullet chick was injured in transit and only survived a few days. We didn't lose any other chicks due to McMurray, the weather or the post office. I called them within 48 hours, and McMurray credited for the cost of the pullet and her Marek's vaccination.

Of the 25 pullets we ordered, 26 received - 2 turned out to be cockerels. So that was better than the 90% accuracy guarantee McMurray publishes.

Our flock hatched June 24th and our first pullet started laying eggs November 11th. All our girls were laying their eggs by early December and we've gotten a steady stream of eggs all winter long.

We ordered specific breeds to help us determine which we might like to breed. (We are in the process of locating breeders to get the birds we want to use for our breeding stock.) McMurray doesn't carry the Buckeye, which we would have liked to get, as it is on the American Livestock Breed Conservancy Priority List as CRITICAL.

We're going to order more birds this year. It will probably be another late June shipment for us, as this year's weather has just been too brutal.

I ordered from MM and have lost 5 from the 27 that I got. In my experience, I have found that MM has AWESOME customer service. My chicks were a little late, I was hoping for them Monday and got a call from the PO on Tues morning. That is probably the reason the 5 that died came out of the box with issues already.
The rest of my chicks seem happy & healthy. They are friendly, not skiddish. I would order from MM again.

They put an extra blue laced red wyandotte in there and what I believe to be a black sex link rooster. Can't figure that one out, he's neither a rare chick or a breed I ordered...not to mention I ordered all pullets (except the BLRW, they are only offered str. run) but, if this little black chick is a rooster...I think we're keeping him. He's got a great demeanor already! DH is kinda attached to him already.
smile.png

:(If you want great show quality birds i recomend going to a breeder. for when i was just begining i ordered from murray and the people were very nice but and their bird are fun to have a pets but i had many die. don't get seabrights unless you know what your doing there a realy hard bird to raise. as well since i show i ordered the standard book of perfection and was disipointed to recieve the book with crinkls in some of the pages as well with one pages badly ripped.
sad.png

My chicks are for mainly pleasure, fun, AND EGGS we have no intent off showing them or... eating them (vegitarian)
big_smile.png
so i doens't matter much whet they look like, also ours are all cochin bantams which 2 of my friends have and seem relitively easy to care for

from you that have ordered bundles of 25 (or more) about how many were already dead when you opened the box at the PO i know i know it's a sad subject, but i just want to know what to expect, since mine are comming in june, i don't think they will die of anything tempurature related but....?!?!

I hope McMurray is ok, I only live 45 minutes from them and 3 hours from Welp Hatcheries, so I do have a choice and will probably drive to pick chickies up, anyway.

I'm fairly new to this great website, being mostly a lurker (and a learner). The enthusiasm here is contageous! So although I've had a mongrel assortment of chickens for years, I had never before ordered mail order chicks. You all gave me the courage to take the plunge! This morning the post office called - my chicks from McMurray were here! All 28 were very much alive and ready to eat, drink, and be merry (and poop too!) They are so cute, not at all skittish, and I have NO idea which one is the free rare chick.
My only issue with Mc Murray is that I did not order the vaccinations for coccidiosis (just Marek's disease) so I had bought medicated feed. The packing list did not indicate the Coccidious vac, I wasn't charged for it, BUT a sticker on the box declared that they had been vaccinated for it, and that medicated feed would nullify the vaccine. So - I was confused, but figured that if I didn't get charged for it, they hadn't been vaccinated.
I would definately order from MM again!
wink.png

Finch in Western NY

thank you, i'm so afraind and nervous, i want them to all be alive and all stay that way, but where i live, i'ts not like i haven't see dozens of dead birds
big_smile.png
sad.png
i am happy though
big_smile.png
to see how highly recommended mcmurray is!they won't die of heat stroke, will they?---for June 11 in Pa i don't think it will be that hot out right
hmm.png
!?

Back
Top Bottom