Muscovey ducklings!!

Codyw2277

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2017
Hey y'all. I need tips on raising some muscovey ducklings. I have a male and a female muscovey, Donald and Daisy. well daisys eggs finally hatched yesterday and a have a total of 9 baby's.I need tips on how to raise them and tame them and get them used to humans. My current ducks used to come up to me all the Time but since daisy went broody he got anti-social so I thought I should start hand feeding them all on a daily basis to get them used to me. Could you guys give me as much information and tips as possible? I've never raised ducklings but I've had my two adults for a while. Also, their current nest/pen is a dog igloo and a fencing around it. It's rather decent sizes but the fence is small and I have an extention on the way. Any advice as far as bettering their home?

be VERY careful in regards to drowning. Ducklings can get into water pans then maybe not get out.

Also, I like to sprinkle nutritional yeast over their food for the extra B vitamins.

As to taming... just sit with them, and talk, and give them treats on occasion.

Muscovy are super smart, they will learn that you are safe and a bringer of treats if you spend time just sitting still and talking to them.

Maybe you could let them out of their pen while you watch them.

They would see that as a great treat.

However, I have found that just sitting and talking to them, with every so often a treat tossed out, works wonders.

Somehow today they got out again. Nothing was moved or anything. I'm guessing they climbed out through the branches in the pen. But now that they're out and about I guess I'll let them roam around. But what if they dont come back to the pen tonight and deside to go sleep at some other part of the property ? I know that once they get a tad bigger they won't be able to get out but they can at the moment. I'm worried for their safety and I'm worried they won't use the pen as their home. If rather have them use the pen as home because it's easy access for me to food them and change out their water. Please help!

Back
Top Bottom