muscovey hen question - pics added

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kelebek, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Kelebek

Kelebek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    I can't find my camera to get a good picture - but I noticed on my yearling hen (only layed one clutch) has a "pooch" hanging down under her .... reminds me of a fat pouch like a dog gets along the under abdomen. i have never seen a duck with this .... any ideas? I will try to get a pic with my phone until I can find my camera.

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. Kelebek

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    How much feed do you give them? mine have a grassy pen and they are starting to get one like that, so im cutting back on feed because they are always foraging, maybe shes getting fat, and when i started to cut down they have not been getting any larger..try cutting back on feed maybe??

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

You have a fatty with the nice keel. Don't worry I have one too. Cutting back on feed will prevent it from getting larger. The bad news is that it will never go away. It will get thin, but the flap with hang forever.

5. Kelebek

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    Gah ---- i was afraid of that - LOL!

I have a large plastic jug that was from my husbands protein drinks and the 18 ducks and about 18 chickens get 3/4 of one of scratch twice a day and then they get some bread also - not much though .... they are spoiled by my husband!!! They also free range all over the acreage.

Thanks ya-all!!

Here is a pic of one of my August hatchlings - I am LOVING this color!!!

[​IMG]

6. katharinad

Ditch the scratch and bread. That is a sure way to fatten up a duck. The ducks may look fat, but in reality they are mal-nourished, since scratch does not provide the essentials. Stick to the normal grower developer feed mix. You calculate 1/3 of a pound of feed per duck per day. Reduce some, if they free range and find their own food. In winter give the full ration when there is snow on the ground. A little bit of scratch will work in winter to keep them well "fat" insulated.

http://blog.metzerfarms.com/blog/bid/28153/Mixing-Your-Own-Duck-Feed-and-Goose-Feed

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  7. Kelebek

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    Sorry - I refer to their food as scratch - it really is the duck food .... sorry for the confusion there.

Thank you - I am very new to ducks :)

8. katharinad

Glad to hear that you are not using "real" scratch. Just cut back a little bit and you are fine.

Now how do you explain to your duck that a tummy tuck is out of question?

[​IMG]

9. Kelebek

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    Yah - wondering if that is going to be an issue with her self esteem and her mating ......

10. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by