Muscovey Hen

Omasgirls

Hatching
Aug 24, 2023
My Muscovey has 8 eggs in her clutch. By my count she is due for hatching on the 28th. She had a hen that took up residence with her. Today ,day 31, one of the eggs has hatched. 4 days early. How long should we give her for the other eggs to hatch?... I thought one egg, that the hen was sitting on, looked like it had a small peck on the shell before April,our Muscovey, took it under her.

My husband has read that because of the hen sitting with April some of the eggs may not have had enough humidity on them and won't hatch. Now that the one has hatched I have kicked the hen out so April can sit by herself with her clutch and duckling. I also put a dishwashing bucket full of water in the enclosed area for her just in case she wants to get wet.
thanks in advance for any advice

Your hen will move off the nest when she feels she is done. Sometimes they will leave viable eggs behind because they need to move off and get feed for the ducklings.

Are these pure muscovy? Never had any hatch that early here.

I've hatched muscovy eggs under chickens. I didn't add any extra humidity and they hatched fine.

Your hen will move off the nest when she feels she is done. Sometimes they will leave viable eggs behind because they need to move off and get feed for the ducklings.

I've hatched muscovy eggs under chickens. I didn't add any extra humidity and they hatched fine.

Thank you. I trust that the woman we got her and the male from knows they are pure. I may be off on when she started sitting. But only by about 2 days. Yesterday may have been 31 or 32. This is only the 2nd time she has hatched.
I was mostly concerned about the whole humidity issue because of the hubby and his research. I know 2 of the eggs she laid after my date of starting the count. I will leave her alone a let nature take its curse. She is much calmer since I took The chicken hen out. (Henny Penny isn't happy though)

Attachments

• 20211102_114113.jpg
    20211102_114113.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230824_144034.jpg
    20230824_144034.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 2
Do you have any other ducks? If your muskovy was crossed she would not lay fertile eggs, but if the father of the eggs is a mallard derived drake the eggs would hatch around 31 days.
The other possibility is that ithe temperatures were warm enough for the eggs to start developing before she started sitting full time.

No other Ducks. Just my 2 Muscovey. She hatched a beautiful boy October of 2022. He has a new home. (I only let her sit on 2 eggs)
Yes it had been pretty warm when she started laying. I wondered about that as well. in the low 100's if I remember correctly.
Thank you for your input. 😊

Thank you. I trust that the woman we got her and the male from knows they are pure. I may be off on when she started sitting. But only by about 2 days. Yesterday may have been 31 or 32. This is only the 2nd time she has hatched.
I was mostly concerned about the whole humidity issue because of the hubby and his research. I know 2 of the eggs she laid after my date of starting the count. I will leave her alone a let nature take its curse. She is much calmer since I took The chicken hen out. (Henny Penny isn't happy though)

:welcome
Beautiful Muscovy♥️

Attachments

• 20230825_105435.jpg
    20230825_105435.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230825_105347.jpg
    20230825_105347.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230825_105303.jpg
    20230825_105303.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 1