Muscovey owners/breeders can you tell me what color...

Here is the picture of my white Muscovy drake Virgil. He is a real sweetheart. He is also quite the charmer with the ladies. So far all the eggs of his I've checked have been fertile.
27498_oliver_025.jpg

Oh my!! He's beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I love Muscovies of all colors, but the white one's are really neat.

I would love to have some white ducks. I love Pekins, but they are SOOOOOO noisy. We were at the library park yesterday, and there are several Pekins there. My gosh they were loud! It has a HUGE lake, and some were way on the other side of the lake, and the distance didn't seem to reduce their volume at all. My neighbors would complain for sure if I had them. The ducks I have are already fairly noisey as they are Pekin/Swedish mixes (not the Muscovies, they are quiet). The nieghbors two houses over can hear them, and unfornately, they start yelling for me as soon as the sky even thinks about becoming light! LOL Thankfully, this neighbor grew up on a farm and understands. She was nice, and said that it reminds her of when she was a kid and she actually enjoys hearing them.

Now, the neighbor next door on one side of us, he has been a problem with lots of stuff, including my cats, our trash cans, you name it. Anything to complain about. So, noisy ducks would be next on his list. He hasn't said anything (yet) and hopefully he won't, but adding more quacking ducks to my group would probably be a bad idea. So, I am glad these babies are muscovies.

Thanks for sharing your pic! He really is a beautiful duck.

Kathy

one of my new babies is going to be white for sure... One has a grey cap... and two has light grey stripes(really light-don't think they will stay)

Quote:
His mug is about as ugly as our alpha male. Is that your creek? It sure looks like they would enjoy it.

Yes he is ugly in the cutest sort of way! Yes thats my creek, my hens enjoy it but my drake never swims, I don't know why. He goes down to the edge and takes a bath but never goes out beyong where he can touch. I know 'scovies don't swim as much as other breeds but never, seems strange.
We got some Rouens this year who will hopefully utilize the creek more.

Kitkatbahr..post pics as they grow. Will love to see it.

Yes, it is normal for white muscovies to have a colored spot on the head (though not all the time, please note. some will, some won't)

You will end up either with all-whites or little ones with little caps. Very cute, I would say!

I hope your are white..,but the ones that I hatch out that are all yellow end up being barred later most of the time. But I did get 2 white hens last year...

Awww, how nice to find the scovie fan club!

We currently have 1 drake, 7 ladies and 17 babies and another nest is due in a coupla weeks
big_smile.png
Gotta love em!

Used to have 3 Aylesburys and whilst they are beautiful to look at the noise they make drove me up the wall. And they were sooooo dim. The scovies are bright, easy to herd, quiet and so much fun to watch. They run in our orchard and keep the bugs down a treat too.

My drake also dislikes swimming, he washes every night after his tea from a bowl of water which is so funny cos they have a whole lake to play with!

We grow ours for meat and I believe it to be the finest tasting duck meat you'll get. Richly flavoured with very little fat. Yummm.

Quote:
You know what else is funny about my 'scovies? They have a beautiful creek to swim in it is very wide and pretty deep in some places. BUT I stake out my goats around my property during the day to eat the weeds(hate whipper snipping). Anyways my scovies will travel an acre and a half away(or more) to get to the goats water pail instead of walking 6 feet to the creek. I don't know why, they are silly ducks.

Quote:
Yes, barreds will have yellow down as well as the whites, the difference lies in the bill color and barreds will have a tint to the very tip of their tail that, if you're familiar with the down color of the solid varieties, you can sometimes accurately guess the color of! The bill of a white bird will be pink, barred ducklings will have a darkish, bluish colored bill.

This is a barred duckling ... not sure it'll show the tail or not but does show the bill color.

100_4998-1-1-2.jpg

Hope this helps!
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom