Muscovies not producing...

DVTO2

Songster
13 Years
Mar 10, 2010
So I've had a pair of Lavender Muscovies for about 2 1/2 years. They are a littl over three years old but are not producing any fertile eggs. The duck has laid two to three clutches a year for the past two years, and she sets on them religiously, but none hatch. I am ready to give up on them - are they still good to eat or are they too old?

The previous posters have some good questions. While i have not had roaring success here, i did have 10 live hatch this year, many factors can play a role though in successful breeding and i would imagine sometimes a lack of fertility is possible too.

It is a male and female pair I bought from a breeder. The drake is about 15 pounds, maybe more, and is twice as big as the duck. They do mate, but she doesn't seem all that happy about it. He is very aggressive and I have to be careful around him - about the only thing that will back him down is the hose.

sell him and bring in a new more docile drake and see if that works instead, it sounds like she doesn't like him all that much.

He is very aggressive and I have to be careful around him - about the only thing that will back him down is the hose.

We had an aggressive 'head drake.' He stressed the rest of the flock, so he became dinner. Our other drake stepped up and became a great, NICE head boy. It was a hard choice, but we had to think of the many over the one, and it became clear very soon that we'd made the RIGHT choice. Plus, I read here once (and agree with), you don't want to breed aggressiveness. Get yourself a sweet boy; everyone will be happier in the long run.

Ironically, he has been good for new chickens I am trying to introduce to my flock in that he becomes top dog but still allows the chickens to eat, though he will give them an occasional drubbing just to let them all know who's boss.

At 3 plus years, is he still edible. I don't know who would want to buy an aggressive and possibly infertile male.

Back
Top Bottom