Muscovies to Be Gased In Ocala.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They must be affecting the native species food supplies. While i dont agree with gasing them, i'd rather see the natives be able to live with as few feral animals as possible.

This happened in another state with Canada geese. People were very upset, not only because of the killings, but because the meat was wasted. There was some kind of health reason why they couldn't be used for human consumption.

Feral Muscovies aren't protected in the way that other migratory birds are. In many areas, it is encouraged that anyone who wants to take them should do so. Animal cruelty laws still apply, but many places would love for people to remove them from the wild.

They tried relocating the ducks. It did not work. Florida's climate is very conducive to Muscovies so they breed fast and there are not many predators in city parks to keep them under control. Too many animals in a given area is simply too many animals and they make an enormous mess in what is supposed to be public park for people to enjoy. Time to thin the flock.

Quote:
Agreed. They've got to go somewhere if they are getting too large in number.

Yes, and they could charge people for hunting permits, which many people would gladly pay, rather than wasting yet MORE of the taxpayers' dollars to eradicate them. And they won't even let the rescues do it for free...the bureaucracy just LOVES to waste your money!

This calls for civil disobedience.

Local people need to take matters in their own hands, and begin discreetly relocating them. Do it now! Don't wait! Muscovies that are used to being fed are relatively easy to catch, if not by hand then at least by net. Work as a team of two or three, box up a few at a time, and drive away promptly. Who is going to stop a kind-hearted animal lover? I've done it in my community - once they're in my SUV, they're on their way to my backyard haven. If everyone takes a couple at a time, there won't be any left to slaughter, and the local government can turn their attention to more important matters.

This story tells me that horses are the only animals that matter to government officials in Ocala - creatures like ducks are disposable. Shame!

Quote:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom