Muscovy acting differently than the rest

If you syringes her 4x that that would be 2oz at a time and get it done. Do you know how to give liquids by syringe? We have info on here after you have given the 8 oz be sure she has fresh water with electrolytes in it. Maybe go 30min between syringing that way it’s still daylight by the time you’re done.
I do know how to give liquids by oral syringe, but thanks for the instructions. I'm not sure I'll be able to start her on the charcoal tonight. We just had a sudden blizzard and it's supposed to be very cold and windy tomorrow. Would rather not bring her inside the much warmer house again...

She did actually hiss at me a little today, but then let me pet and examine her. She continues to be less enthusiastic about joining the other ducks in the head bobbing "dances." Can they all of a sudden become calmer and tamer when they mature?

I was trying not to worry and thought maybe Winona was just acting differently because she just started laying. But I can't help but worry. She doesn't look well. She is not following the other three ducks or foraging with them as much. She stands there when the other ducks are doing their happy laps. She lets me pick her up and pet her without running away or hissing at me. Something must be wrong but I can't tell what.

A little bit about my ducks and their setup:
I have four 8-month-old Muscovy females living together in a large pen (1000s of square feet). There is lots of grass and dirt (mud). They do have access to the garden with compost piles (I will be moving them away from there soon). I feed Kalmbach Flock Maker 20% crumble with nutritional yeast added. They have a deep water bowl and a pool to bathe in.

So what should I look for when I examine Winona? It will be difficult to see what her poop looks like, but I'll try. Should I try a calcium tablet in case she's egg bound?
I'm not saying this is probable. However, you say your 'scovies are 8 mo old and just started laying. I just had the same experience with my young Muscovy hens. My sweet pets, that always stayed close together, started to go their own ways. Then 1, days later 2, would spend time in their pen area. (They have an auto door and normally free range on a natural pond.) They were laying eggs which I collected most days. After a few more weeks they started sitting on their nests, only leaving to eat. Mind you, there's no drake around. The 2 would fan out their tails and kinda whimper when I'd pick up and set 'em aside just far enough to get their eggs. Another week and 1 began to hiss at me. Another week and those 2 would meet me outside their pen defensively, trying to sneak behind me and peck my boots. If I turned around, they'd scream as if I were the duck axe murderer as they ran away with their tails fanned out. They quit laying at 6-7 weeks and have slowly returned to being calm and oh so tame.

I'm still not certain, but I think my girls went broody and acted like they went thru a hormone change. Could Winona be broody? (Just reread. With all your knowledge, no, it's not a normal case of duck growing up. Anyway, if a new duck owner were going thru this, like I did a month ago, sounds like 'broody.' In an attempt to save embarrassment I may delete this later.)

Last edited:
I'm not saying this is probable. However, you say your 'scovies are 8 mo old and just started laying. I just had the same experience with my young Muscovy hens. My sweet pets, that always stayed close together, started to go their own ways. Then 1, days later 2, would spend time in their pen area. (They have an auto door and normally free range on a natural pond.) They were laying eggs which I collected most days. After a few more weeks they started sitting on their nests, only leaving to eat. Mind you, there's no drake around. The 2 would fan out their tails and kinda whimper when I'd pick up and set 'em aside just far enough to get their eggs. Another week and 1 began to hiss at me. Another week and those 2 would meet me outside their pen defensively, trying to sneak behind me and peck my boots. If I turned around, they'd scream as if I were a duck axe murderer as they ran away with their tails fanned out. They quit laying at 6-7 weeks and have slowly returned to being calm and oh so tame.

I'm still not certain, but I think my girls went broody and acted like they went thru a hormone change. Could Winona be broody?
Thank you! That makes me feel better. When I noticed the change in behavior my first thought was she must be laying. She isn't sitting on eggs yet, but she's been very calm and tame like you describe. She is still foraging, drinking, bathing, and doing duckie stuff, but just not as much. I think I will continue to wait and observe. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom