Muscovy acting differently than the rest

(Just reread. With all your knowledge, no, it's not a normal case of duck growing up. Anyway, if a new duck owner were going thru this, like I did a month ago, sounds like 'broody.' I may delete this later today.)
Just saw your edit. While I am not new to poultry, I am new to ducks so I still don't quite know what to expect. You don't think it sounds like a normal hormone change for my Winona?

Last edited:
Actually, I do think it sounds like a normal phase. I've been wrong before going out on a limb with my opinion. This is me, sharing an experience and taking a guess. Going out on a limb so to speak.

I saw you've 6 yrs on this forum and thought, "I'm getting into matters that are beginner level." But, if you say this is a new experience for you; then hmmm. . .

Our typed thoughts haven't much background context. I misjudge whether the answer can be very simple or the conversation is beyond simple considerations.

Last edited:
Actually, I do think it sounds like a normal phase. I've been wrong before going out on a limb with my opinion. This is me, sharing an experience and taking a guess. Going out on a limb so to speak.

I saw you've 6 yrs on this forum and thought, "I'm getting into matters that are beginner level." But, if you say this is a new experience for you; then hmmm. . .

Our typed thoughts haven't much background context. I misjudge whether the answer can be very simple or the conversation is beyond simple considerations.
I do think it's very likely you're right. Thank you for sharing your experience - it sounds a lot like mine and my ducks are at the right age. Chickens don't suddenly stop flocking with the others like that unless they are sick so it worried me. I watched Winona for a while this morning and besides going off by herself and not head bobbing she is acting fine and is quite energetic.

Still watching Winona's behavior when I can. She has not gotten any worse and is back to hissing at me when I get close to her. We got so much snow they haven't been able to get out and about. That's Winona on the lower ramp. She jumped down underneath the coop. I'll be checking there tonight to see if she laid an egg there.

IMG_4041.JPG

Still watching Winona's behavior when I can. She has not gotten any worse and is back to hissing at me when I get close to her. We got so much snow they haven't been able to get out and about. That's Winona on the lower ramp. She jumped down underneath the coop. I'll be checking there tonight to see if she laid an egg there.

View attachment 3781014
For once its not ME posting pictures of being buried in snow!
Glad she's stabilized for the time being.

Hi Chris! I'm wondering if you agree with @Sosalty that it sounds like Winona is just going through a normal phase due to hormones. That is what I'm leaning toward because she otherwise looks okay.
You've been getting wonderful advice so far, so didn't want to butt in. ;) Miss Lydia walked you through pretty much everything (she is wonderful that way!) and I would probably concur that it's hormonal at this point. Birds can be such silly things! :)

Back
Top Bottom