muscovy and chickens

archil

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012

I thought about getting a muscovy but I hear they they're quite big, and living in the city, We don't have a really big yard. Our front yard is big, but we don't use it because its right next to the road on the corner [so both sides] and it only has a wire fence, which offers no privacy.

How much space would i need for a muscovy duck and three chickens in a yard? and how big would my coop/run have to be or all of them to be together? will they get along?
This is my coop now, its quite small but when we let the new chickens out of the quarantine pen that you can see on the left, well be adding that pen onto the run for more space.

The silver stick is a meter ruler.
The main run is 1.6m across, 0.90m deep, and about 1m high. included in this space is the sleeping/sheltered area which is about 0.65m high, 0.90m deep and 0.5m across. plus the little nesting box on the outside.
The triangle shaped chicken wire pen is just over one meter on two sides and about two meters on the front side, its a little lower than the main run.
we can easily add more room fr the chickens if it's recommended, if it's safe fr the duck to be out all day then wed rather do that than add to much onto the run because it'll end u taking up most of our yard.

We let the chickens out ever evening for three hours or so and on the weekend mornings for about half an hour before we go out. Our entire section is fenced as we used to have a dog, but we're not sure if it is safe to let the chickens out all day as one of them will be a bantam and may be able to squeeze under the gate, and we also have two cats, one of which loves to chase things, although when we have seen them spying on the chickens lately the chicks seem to be able to make enough of a fuss to scare the cats away. Does anyone think it would be safe to have the duck out all day since it is quite large?

The easiest way to tell the difference between male and female Muscovy ducks are the caruncles (the red, fleshy looking skin on the face); males have a lot more caruncles on their face than females.

My 1 1/2 yr old drake

My new hens

Nice birds! actually, the easiest is size, drakes outsize ducks and long before the facial flesh takes full form. I have found over the years the drakes vary heavily with how quickly and how much flesh they obtain.
smile.png

A shot of a pair of mine from a few years ago..

I wouldn't put ducks with a muscovey. He won't hurt them, but they will peck his face, which is bad for him.

Ducks in a pen, need probobly min. of an 3 meter x 3 meter fence. Full size chickens will need about 1 meter sq per bird min.

I wouldnt add any more bird to the coop you have. Ducks, chickens or muscovy. The coop as is (runs dont count for coop space) is good for two hens. Our chickens and roosters have free ranged around the muscovy flock, but everyone has their own nighttime housing with plenty of room to spread out inside to prevent fights and picking.

Why do you want a duck? i guess i'm curious since your saying your spacing is limited and so forth to begin with. I only have Muscovy here, the ducks(girls) are pretty compact, the drakes(boys) are not lol

I don't mix my chickens and ducks, the drakes could kill my chickens trying to mate them but besides they have way different opinions on comfort.. the chickens for instance love a nice dirt bath the ducks? like a mud pie hole to wallow in and "forage"...

The duck needs a pool and water deep enough to submerge the head, the chickens obviously don't. I do know people have both, as do I but i prefer separate areas due to the differing needs.

Not trying to be discouraging just honest, a nice little 'scove duck is petite compact and they are great birds but ducks are definitely messier than chickens but they are nice to have but accommodations have to be made
wink.png

I have chickens, muscovy and geese. I had the chickens and ducks together but I did seperate them. Adding a single duck to an established flock of chickens would cause you to have a very lonely duck. They do better with their own kind and unless raised together most likely will not bond. You could not have a drake because as stated, it is dangerous for your chickens. Ducks are much more messy than chickens and the chickens will not do well in the mess that a duck can make. My chickens and ducks tolerate each other but do not get along.

im going to get two muscovy ducklings when i get the two new chicks so they will be raised together, and if it turned out that one was a drake i was definitely not going to keep him; and I would probably get another little duckling or big girl so i can have two girls.
Is it safe to have the duck out all day?, as i said the property is completely fenced and the only predators are two small cats.
The reason I was thinking about ducks was because a lot of people were suggesting them to me, i had another thread about a rooster and i said i couldn't keep it because i live in a sub urban area with close-ish neighbours, and someone suggested a muscovy because they're quiet and produce good eggs and meat.
Would a children's paddling pool be big enough for the duck?
We can easily find any type of tub for her, and I had taken that into account.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom